Help, replacement for KSC35 :-(
Aug 9, 2007 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

DobsOnly

100+ Head-Fier
My KSC35's cable was ripped and broke in half this evening.
mad.gif
The immediate response was I'll buy you another pair.
rolleyes.gif
That would be a good trick since they are very hard to find. I might be able to make a repair by recabling but figured I'd start looking for a replacement.

So far the Yuin PK1, PK2 or maybe the $39 PK3 has peaked my interest but I'm suspecting there are others that might come to mind for you.

Things I'm looking for in the new portable are:
  • Open type
  • Will stay in place while moving around. I used my 35's when riding my bike or working in the yard etc.
  • Would prefer no headband, so clip on or earbud.
  • I'd like something that would have a similar bang for the buck as the KSC35. I think that will be tough
    plainface.gif
  • Would like to stay at or near the $100 US price.

I already own:
  • KSC75
  • Old PX100
  • HF-1
  • HD600
  • iM716
  • Ety ER6

So if you could compare the sound of your suggested replacement to one in this group I'll have some idea what I could expect.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 41
By pure coincidence the other night I was doing a bit of A/B comparison with my now aging KSC-35s and new PK3s.

The KSC-35s have a wider soundstage obviously, and good response across the frequency range. However they are a fair bit muddier than the PK3s at the bottom end.

On the other hand I continue to be impressed with the PK3s. Bass response in particular is nice and tight. You certainly can't beat them for the money.

So I'd say if you want a cheap, portable, durable 'phone for exercise or whatever, go the PK3s.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 41
If I were you, I'd use it as an excuse to have them recable with better quality wire. You'll now have something better than before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy a sportapro(or Mac5 if you cn find one) and use thier drivers as replacement for your ksc35 then send in the sportapro with the broken ksc35 driver to koss for repair.

Yeah, KSC35 drivers == SportaPro drivers. Once you get your repaired SportaPros back you could sell them on here to reduce your loss.

Or if you want something totally different, Yuin PK3s are a considered a bit better than Koss 60ohm headphones by many who've compared the two.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 41
I posted this in another thread, but it applies to this one too.

If there are any people that still want to buy a pair of KSC35 straight from Koss.com (BTW, the version I got was not retail packaged but instead came with a case and warranty card inside a little plastic bag), follow these steps:

1. Go to Koss's website: http://www.koss.com
2. Paste this into your address bar:
Quote:

javascript:LaunchBWindow('/koss/baskets.nsf/(05Add+to+BasketN)?openagent&ID=KSC35')

3. Hit enter.
4. You should now see a pop-up showing a pair of KSC35's in your cart priced at $29.99.
5. Use code ANNIVERSARY for another 20% off your order.
6. Checkout and enjoy!

NOTE: This may not work. It worked for me a while ago, and I'm under the impression that they still have a few of these left in their factory. Your mileage may vary... worst case scenario is that they contact you stating that they don't have it in stock and won't charge you (or if they charge you, they'll most likely refund you; Koss's customer service is pretty good). Best case scenario, you get a new pair of KSC35's.

But don't discount recabling.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there are any people that still want to buy a pair of KSC35 straight from Koss.com (BTW, the version I got was not retail packaged but instead came with a case and warranty card inside a little plastic bag), follow these steps:

1. Go to Koss's website: http://www.koss.com
2. Paste this into your address bar:
Quote:
javascript:LaunchBWindow('/koss/baskets.nsf/(05Add+to+BasketN)?openagent&ID=KSC35')
3. Hit enter.
4. You should now see a pop-up showing a pair of KSC35's in your cart priced at $29.99.
5. Use code ANNIVERSARY for another 20% off your order.
6. Checkout and enjoy!

But don't discount recabling.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=large]Thank you!!![/size]
I got the order in
icon10.gif

I'll let you know if it went through OK.

The other part of this is the wife broke these accidentally, so it's a great opportunity to check out some new headphones to replace them. Like the PK1 or 2. This way I won't get much grief about it...

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say recable them. it's fairly easy to do on the ksc35 and the solder pads are nice and large.

A lot of suggestions to recable them. I've built a couple amps so I guess I could do that without to much trouble. Then I'll have a backup if the others come through.
wink.gif

The recabling threads I've read talk about the new cables being to stiff and heavy. I was thinking about trying it with CAT5 before reading that. I guess I'll try and hunt down some soft 26 guage wire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman
I personally like the PK3 better than the KSC35. As soon as I heard the pk3's, the KSC35's were gone. Plus they're earbuds and don't have clips, but then again, it might not be as stationary for your activities.

All of these Yuin buds seem like they get good reviews. The hard part is trying to figure out if the cost of each of the higher priced models is worth the extra $30 to $100. I've got a VibeZ to drive them with so I doubt power will be an issue for any of them. Cmoy and Pimeta setting here if I need them.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back