Help repairing PK2
Feb 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kaaspeer

Head-Fier
My Pk2's got stuck behind something while riding my bicycle and got yanked pretty hard. The sound in the left channel has vanished, but it returns when I move the cable a bit near the plug and it works as long as it is in a certain position.

Does anyone know how to repair the cable? Sending it back to china for warranty doesn't seem an option.

Thanks for your time.

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, the warranty would not be honored in China, but through Head-Direct, though getting them caught and busted probably wouldn't qualify as a warranty repair. Might have to bite the bullet and get new ones. Or, to save money, get a pair of PK3s, which I actually prefer over the PK2s. You can contact Head-Direct and ask about repairs.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 10
^ Replacing plug is a lot more easier than you think. Google examples 1, 2.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Ok i've just put a new plug on it.

Putting a new plug on the PK's is a FAR bigger bitch than you think.
For those who have seen the cable of a PK2, it's really thin, yet more durable than you think. But the thinness comes of no further internal isolation other than a really thin plastic film surrounding the copper wires. You could easily scratch it off with your nails.

So after about 45 minutes of trying to keep the damn things separated from eachother i succeeded to get sound out of both earbuds without any hiss or other distortion (and from the right channels aswell) because of the cables touching eachother. I quickly encased everything in silicone kit (only thing I had at hand). Luckily everything is fine.

I would've made pics but to be honest I'm not too good with a soldering iron and I've made mess off it.
Will make pics of the final result if someone wants to see it but it's pretty much m'eh anyway.

Thanks for the links, now let's just hope the cable holds.
But all things considered it's €3,- well spent.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
though getting them caught and busted probably wouldn't qualify as a warranty repair.

What do you mean by this? Im confused?

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 10
It means warranty doesn't cover the damage you made on to the 'phone.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Wish I could read. thought he meant the cable going into the earbud. Anyways, thanks for the cool link ClieOS
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 10
can you post the pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back