help regarding purchase of LD2++
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ronmtorres

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I really need your urgent help. On the second week of May, I will be going to China for an educational trip in Shanghai. I suddenly remembered that little dot maker David is based there so I made some inquiries about the LD2++ and arrangements should I order one. I have not ordered one yet and is contemplating on getting one. I will be saving around 30 dollars on shipping costs if I get it while I'm in China. Please remember that I am here in the Philippines so anything bought from the US or Canada means extra shipping costs for me. Add to this is the potential import taxes I will be paying.
I would just like to know if me purchasing the LD2++ would be a good purchase and will add SQ to my current headphones. I am interested in getting one since I would just like the feel of a tube amp. There's just a certain eagerness in me to try a tube amp. The Head-Fi curse, so to speak. I have read some threads about the LD2++ and it seems like it is a pretty good amp for its price.
I have certain dillemas that somehow run through my head. One, and perhaps the most important for me, is the SQ. If I will be getting an SQ that is my money's worth for this amp, then by all means I will get it. I will disregard the other dillemas if I will be getting more than I will be paying for it.
Another is portability. I really do not mind that the LD2++ would just be for my home listening but if there are better options that will also give me portability, I would not mind it either.
Also, I would like it better if my amp had a DAC in it as well since my laptop's sound card just sucks. I am quite interested in the Headphonia amp (OK, I know Robert has some issues regarding this one) or the Porta Corda MKIII USB. But I can save again to get a DAC later if I really will be getting a good SQ from the LD2++.
I would just like to reiterate that I am willing to disregard the portability issue and the DAC option if I will be getting a good sound for this.
Guys, I just need my money's worth in here.Will I be getting my money's worth or should I also look at something else? My max budget is 180 dollars including shipping.Or should I hold on to my money first and just get a better one? I;m a poor college kid getting only $4 a week max as my savings. Please look at my sig for my equipment, if it means anything.

Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Ermm.. I thought David's from the states? But inanycase, i think you might be able to purchase the LD++ A LOT cheaper if u can buy it from China. (not sure how the tax in the Phillipines's like though)

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 5
yeah, i asked him and he's from a province in China and not Shanghai. I have already inquired and he said it will just have the same price if I bought it in China or anywhere. The difference is in the shipping costs.
WOuld you guys recommend me buying this?

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i asked him and he's from a province in China and not Shanghai. I have already inquired and he said it will just have the same price if I bought it in China or anywhere. The difference is in the shipping costs.
WOuld you guys recommend me buying this?

Tuff call, ronmtorres. It's a good amp. Doesn't have the problems associated with its predecessor, the LD2+. However, there's a new MK series coming out very soon. (See elsewhere in Head-Fi for the thread.) It looks very promising, but you may not want to take a chance with the first versions of the new amp. Waiting for subsequent versions will, hopefully, mean an amp with fewer -- if any -- bugs. There are other players that you may want to consider. They're based in China, too, and since you're going there, you could visit more than one manufacturer/dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back