Help: recommend the best DAC and AMP
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

el tri head

New Head-Fier
SO, I have a Questyle 4001, Mr Speaker's Ether Flows and an Aurender N100.

I'm thinking of upgrading the Questyle. I'd like to get further up the mountain of sound.

I see these amazing reviews of the new McIntosh amp/dac and of Schiit stuff. If you had $5,000 to spend on an amp/dac combo, what would you buy?

Thanks, you guys for all the advice.

One more: I see a used Cavalli Liquid Gold for sale at a good price...thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 11
What would I buy is what I did buy Amps and Sound Kenzie and Schiit Yggdrasil. It is just great with my Ether C’s and most of the others I have.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 11
For me, the DAC would either have to be a great FPGA based one (aka Chord) or a transformer coupled tube R2R DAC (aka Audio Note). Never heard that quality of sound anywhere else. That leaves two real options from Chord to me (Qutest and Hugo 2, probably similarly good DACs, with the Hugo 2 you pay more for a headphone amp and other features) and Audio Note DAC 4.1. I really need to compare all of these side by side, because I want to buy one of these myself!

That leaves enough money for a beastly SET amp, like a Bottlehead Kaiju which can easily be adapted for headphones giving you incredible sound and versatility.

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Will take the Yggdrasil over the Hugo2 any day. The Dave would have to have them side by side but the Dave is very good.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 11
A couple of people I trust have tried the McIntosh MHA100 and MHA150 and say that the amps are over-rated. So +1 on @buke9's recommendation. Yggdrasil and one of the AmpsAndSound amps; Kenzie or Kenzie Encore. Or if you want more power then the Mogwai or Mogwai SE. Or even the Eddie Current Zana Deux S.

You could take $5000 in 3 ways:
1. ~ $1000 DAC + ~ $4000 App
2. ~ $4000 DAC + ~ $1000 Amp
3. ~ $2500 DAC + ~ $2500 Amp

I'd personally go for and recommend the Option #3 because, in Options #1 and #2, the cheaper DAC or the Amp, is going to be a bottleneck in the system. So it is best to optimise the chain in such a way that there are no weak links.

In case you are interested in SS amps, you could look into the following:
- SimAudio Moon 430HA
- Headamp GSX MK-2
- The upcoming Benchmark HPA-4 - This one is going to be interesting as it is a collaboration between Benchmark and THX with the AAA technology. It has a uber low noise floor and so it has the potential to be one of the most transparent and uncoloured amps in the price range.

As for other DACs in the price range:
- HoloAudio Spring DAC - Level 3 - Kisune Tuned
- Benchmark DAC 3 HGC
- Chord Hugo TT
- Chord Qutest

P.S: If you are looking for a pure desktop setup, don't consider the Hugo 2 and instead go for the cheaper Qutest as it has Galvanic isolation and sturdier RCA sockets. Qutest sounds better than the Hugo 2 in a desktop chain, is what people are reporting. But then, Qutest doesn't offer balanced out if that is something you want.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for all the help...At the top of my list right now is a Benchmark DAC used, since they have a new model coming out and I may be able to get a deal. Also, I'm looking at a used Cavalli Liquid AU...if needed...but all of these suggestions seem good. I'd go for the tube amps ideally, but my wife hates light in the bedroom at night, when I mostly listen.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Tubes do not give off any light,more like a faint glow.
BTW

Id recommend the Holo Spring 3 and a Glenn OTL.

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Amps and sound gear is a great option for you.

Another way to go would be the holo lvl1 and a gsx mkii or a pass labs hpa1 or the amps and sound argartha.

The price of the lvl 1 is a steal.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 11
That a lot of people have been purchasing them overall. A true test of somethings value when looking at the used market is the amount it's going for vs it's new price in comparison to how well its competitors do in this regard.

May 3, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 11
I missed the cavalli on audiogon. too slow to get it at 2,500. I want an amp with a flat sound and a dac with a wide, clear soundstage. The Questyle is strong and thick and thumps like an old JBL ...but I'm looking for clean, clear and spacious. The holo is in first place now...and maybe the gsx mkii. You guys have so many great suggestions. It's been an education reading your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back