Help: RE2 or NE-7M?
Mar 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

para

New Head-Fier
I need a new pair of best-bang-for-the-buck IEMs and I'm not really looking to spend much more than $50.

I mainly use them while walking, bike riding, and using public transportation so decent isolation (not so much that I can't hear car horns, etc), little to no microphonics are highly desirable, especially to block wind noise when riding a bike (this may be a lost cause), and should be robust enough to take a little rough handling from gym use, etc.

Also, I mainly listen to a lot of funk, hip hop, rock, and some electronic, so I would prefer IEMs with decent bass presence and extension as well as nice warm mids, highs not so important I guess.

From reading these forums and considering a $50 price point, it seems like the Head-Direct RE2s or the Nuforce NE-7ms would be best choices for me. Which do you guys think would be the better buy? I am open other suggestions around this price point as well.

(Also, I wouldn't be using the microphone on the NE-7ms at all, does this make it less worthwhile to purchase?)

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 10
I own the NE-7s and have only read about the RE2. IMO the NE-7 is excellent for electronic, good for hip hop, and OK for rock. There is plenty of bass and fairly good detail and treble extension. From my reading, the RE2 is more detailed, but lacks the bass, which is not my cup-o-tea for electronic and hip hop. They may be better for rock.

At the $50 price point there will be compromises, I would go with the one that has a similar sound sig to what you are looking for.

Also, there are already a ton of NE-7 threads:
Vote: Nuforce 7m (50E=$70), Head-Direct RE2 (w/FiiO E3 $79) or C551
Better for jazz, Nuforce ne7 or Head direct RE2?
RE2 vs. NE-7M - isolation
PL3 vs. PL12 vs. NE-7M vs. RE2

I hope you did the search before creating the thread. The search engine won't find thread titles with ne-7 in them though, so I can understand if that didn't work. I did the search with re2 in the title and got the above threads. And there are more threads to be found.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes, I did try searching but couldn't find much compairing the two, I think I might have searched with a dash. Plus I wanted to ask some specific questions. Sorry, I'm a newb to this kinda stuff (see post count). Thanks for your help though.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 10
My ne-7m's were just delivered about 10 minutes ago. They sound awesome. I have not tried the other ones you are talking about. I have tried several other headphones/headsets. Altec-Lansing were alright but no were near as good as these, same price. So far I like these, I've only had them 10 minutes so I haven't tested taking or making a call.

On music, I've heard things with these that my other in ears didn't allow. I'm thinking I'm hearing about 90% of what the artist intended with my other in ears I heard about 50% or maybe I'm biased right now because I like what I'm hearing.

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I have both. I got the RE2s first, then thought I lost them, then found them but in the meantime had picked up the NE7Ms. I liked the NE7Ms so much I got a Nuforce Icon Mobile. Now I can a/b the 2 iems through the icon. Not that I really do that...but...here's how they stack up IMO for your purposes.

You mention first isolation. RE2 is a semi-open iem. The little holes on the back of the head are little holes. So even with a good, tight seal they do not totally block out sound. NE7M has far greater isolation, especially with the right tips (complys, or, interestingly, the Head-Direct biflanges are my preferred...). I would guess for you if getting flattened in traffic is a serious concern then go with the RE2 for this reason alone. Plus you can have a street-level conversation without having to take the iems out.

NE7M have better bass. Is this because they are closed?

Biggest problem with the NE7Ms is the stock tips. A very small number of people find them okay. So you can plan on spending another $20 to get some complys or similar to make them fit properly and deliver that sweet mid-fi sound.

I'd go with the RE2.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 10
I can not say how the RE2 sound but I just recieved the NE-7M's and they are simply the best sounding phones I have had the privilege to hear. Way better than my:

JVC HA-FX66
JBL Reference 220
Bose In Ear
Sennheiser CX 300
Panasonic RP-HJE550

They are also comfortable and the sound isolation is EXCELLENT as compared to the JBL Ref 220's which have holes in the back similar to the RE2.

Having said that I do like more bass versus a neutral sound. The NE-7M's are the first phones I have used with my Ipod Touch where I really like the NO EQ sound setting. I may still use EQ settings but if I couldn't I would be content with the sound quality of the phones.

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Nuforce NE-7M's here. Yes, I have both, both burned in for at least 100 hours each. Nuforce NE-7M's is better suited for rock tbh. Also the Nuforce NE-7M have better isolation with stock tips and close to nil microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back