Help, problem with Westone UM56 tips (bad seal)
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ge|atinousFury

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I went to a local audiologist to have ear impressions made and to place an order for a pair of Westone UM56 tips to be used with my Shure SE535's.  Fast forward to today when I went to pick them up; I sat in the lobby, tried them out and found that I could not get a seal at all with the UM56's.  I know I had them in my ear correctly, because if I applied the slightest bit of pressure onto the tips with my thumb, they would seal up properly.  When I took my finger off of the tips, the seal was broken.  I don't see how it would've been possible to get them any further into my ear canal.  After about 20 minutes of re-inserting them into my ears 20+ times I gave up and went up to the nurse's counter and told the nurse at the front desk that I wasn't getting a good seal with the UM56's.  Upon hearing this she looked at me like I had snakes crawling out of my ears, and obviously had no idea what I was talking about.  She suggested I pay the $200 bill (impressions + tips + tax) and try them out for a while.  I politely told her no thanks, and asked that she talk to the audiologist (he was out of the office today) and give me a call back next week to see what can be done about this.  I left the tips at the audiologist's office when I left today and did not pay for them.

This worries me a lot.  Any of you had experience with a bad pair of UM56's where you had to get a 2nd pair of impressions made?  Judging by the reaction I got today, I'm afraid they're going to want another $200 to have a 2nd pair made.  I have a very strong feeling that this office has no or very little experience ordering things like custom tips for recreational music use, and that I will have to drag them kicking and screaming through this.

I tried calling Westone a few minutes ago but was told that Westone can only deal with the audiologist, not the patient.  Great.  I can't even find out Westone's policies regarding things like this.

Thanks for any help in how I should go about handling this situation.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Its common it seems to have fit issues with any kind of headphone based off of an ear impression. I had to get a refit on my TF10 customs. The thing that scares me, is $200 for your impressions is a rip off, I paid $50, thats very common and have seen people get them done for even less.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Its common it seems to have fit issues with any kind of headphone based off of an ear impression. I had to get a refit on my TF10 customs. The thing that scares me, is $200 for your impressions is a rip off, I paid $50, thats very common and have seen people get them done for even less.

My local audiologist deals with Westone and I was under the impression that the UM56 tips MSRP was around $170, not including the cost of tax or ear impressions.  I'm actually fine with the price, assuming I'm getting what I paid for (a custom set of tips that seal up well in my ear).

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 11
The only issue I have with my UM56's is the fact that they are tough to get out without the IEM and the tips becoming separated -- but I have this issue with many tip/IEM combinations. The filament "puller" could have been a little longer, but my audiologist told me upfront that they will break at some point.  So, no reason to send them back (although she did offer to do so).  Fit is fantastic.  Perfect seal and good comfort.  I will opt for full customs in the future.  Probably a universal re-shell with 1964 Ears to start, since their cost is close to that of UM56's and I have several good donor candidates.  I have been procrastinating and need to get impressions done soon.

I would guess your problem is more likely an impression issue rather than a glitch in manufacturing and, if it is too loose, nothing short of a full refit will fix it.  I was told that Westone would remake the tips if I was unhappy, so I assume you would fall under the same policy.  Memory says the policy is two weeks from the time of delivery. My audiologist (Rock Star Ears in West L.A.) specializes in IEM's for working musicians so I am not surprised she got it right the first time.  Audiologists with a focus on hearing aids do not inspire much confidence on my part since I have a hard time believing their clientele are as picky as us, nor would a slightly loose fit be a problem with hearing aids.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the info.  I am going to pursue getting another set of impressions done but in the future I will definitely try to, before I enter into any transaction, distinguish between audiologists who mainly deal in hearing aids vs. those who deal with professional musicians.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Fury:

Westone has a 90 day warranty for proper fit.  Have you tried using Oto-Ease (lubricant) to insert your UM56s and check for proper seal?

When you had your ear impressions taken, did the audiologist take "open jaw" impressions (i.e., with a bit block between your front teeth)?

You should contact your local audiologist in the event that your earpieces do not fit/seal properly.  They can handle the matter directly with Westone.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Fury:

Westone has a 90 day warranty for proper fit.  Have you tried using Oto-Ease (lubricant) to insert your UM56s and check for proper seal?

When you had your ear impressions taken, did the audiologist take "open jaw" impressions (i.e., with a bit block between your front teeth)?

You should contact your local audiologist in the event that your earpieces do not fit/seal properly.  They can handle the matter directly with Westone.

1.  The UM56's did come with 2 trial-packs of Oto-Ease, and I did open and use one of them in my attempt to get a good seal with the UM56's at the audiologist's office.  I believe it did help a bit on one ear because it would stay sealed until I moved something (opened my jaw, turned my head, etc.).  There was no helping the seal on the other ear; Oto-ease or not it could not keep a seal.

2.  The audiologist's nurse did my impressions and she did not have me use a bite block for open jaw impressions.  My mouth was closed for making impressions but, now that I think about it again, during this time she had the Westone catalog out asking me what color I wanted, so I was very likely moving my head around and talking during impressions as well.  I didn't think anything of it at the time because I assumed the staff knew what they were doing.  Having impressions made was a completely new experience for me.

Thanks for the other info as well, I'll continue to work with the audiologist to resolve this issue.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 11

This is pretty much standard operating procedure -- not using a block is likely the cause of the looseness in one ear.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

This is pretty much standard operating procedure -- not using a block is likely the cause of the looseness in one ear.

After reading that attachment, I agree completely.  Looks like this particular audiologist's office has forced me into being "that guy" that comes in off the street and tells them how to do their job correctly, though in this case it seems necessary.  This is the first and last time I will be doing business at this particular office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back