Help power my new He-400s!
Oct 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jacobgolden

Head-Fier
I just received my new new Hifiman HE-400 in the mail and I'm truly loving these headphones. I heard about the dark signature and I really appreciate the un emphasized treble. I can here lots of detail in the high frequencies but I just hate being poked by sharp hi mids the some headphones like to push and I must say the He-400 are just so nice in this area. Natural and sweet. The bass is also very warm and un pushed but I think with a more powerful amp I'll be able to get some more bass impact.

Right now I'm monitoring through an Apogee Duet 2 which is very clean Dac wise but I have the headphone nob all the way up and I feel I'm only at about 70% powerwise. (I'm also selling the Duet2 cause I need more in out for my studio.)

So I want to find a good Dac/Amp combo that will power these puppies as and will work as well with my Westone 3 IEM which I use at work.

I was Looking at the Practical Devices XM6. I really like the added bass/hi/crossfeed knobs an the optional line out.
Any other suggestions from HE-400 owners?

I need something portable so I can take it work at back so unfortunately no tubes.

Thanks!
Jacob

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Some of us have noticed that changing the earpads to the velour pads like the HE-500 gives a much needed improvement to the HE-400.  You may want to consider that when you budget an amp.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I just received my new new Hifiman HE-400 in the mail and I'm truly loving these headphones. I heard about the dark signature and I really appreciate the un emphasized treble. I can here lots of detail in the high frequencies but I just hate being poked by sharp hi mids the some headphones like to push and I must say the He-400 are just so nice in this area. Natural and sweet. The bass is also very warm and un pushed but I think with a more powerful amp I'll be able to get some more bass impact.
Right now I'm monitoring through an Apogee Duet 2 which is very clean Dac wise but I have the headphone nob all the way up and I feel I'm only at about 70% powerwise. (I'm also selling the Duet2 cause I need more in out for my studio.)
So I want to find a good Dac/Amp combo that will power these puppies as and will work as well with my Westone 3 IEM which I use at work.
I was Looking at the Practical Devices XM6. I really like the added bass/hi/crossfeed knobs an the optional line out.
Any other suggestions from HE-400 owners?
I need something portable so I can take it work at back so unfortunately no tubes.

What source(s) are you using? portable audio player? receiver? computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back