Help Please! CD3000 Amp Sugestions
May 13, 2006 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

B-side J

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting some CD3000 (as soon as my 595s/ Diablo sell..Buy them!) And I was hoping that you guys might be able to point me in the right direction as to what amp to get? I am getting a Zhaolu 2.0 DAC with CS4398 and OPA2604 upgrades, but I think I'm going to want to still get seperat amp.

I'm looking to spend upwards of $600 at the most, but would like to keep it around $400.

As far as what I have looked into the Original "Master" looks like it might be really good value. Has anyone tried it out with CD3ks?

Thanks a Million,

JB

May 14, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 14
Come on you CD3k onwners, what are you using to amp them?

May 14, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 14
I would try to look for a used ppx3 slam. That amp is fantastic with the CD3000s.

May 15, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 14
My pair sounds excellent out of my MPX3 and my Prehead. I switch back and forth on whether I like it better out of the zero impedence or 120 ohm impedence output, but I think it works well with the Meier Audio gear. I would think that for the money you want spend, a HeadFive would be a nice choice, but some other suggestions have been good as well.

As to the Original Master, I thought it sounded great for the bargain that it is. It drove Senns no problem and sounded very clean. HeadFier Vic picked up the Master in NY last month, so maybe you should PM him for his impressions. He has W5000s, not CD3Ks, but maybe he can tell you about the amp.

Good luck!
3000smile.gif

May 15, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 14
I'd get a Xin SuperMacro 3 V6, so that you can use the bass boost to actually give those CD3000's some bass
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I'd get a Xin SuperMacro 3 V6, so that you can use the bass boost to actually give those CD3000's some bass
very_evil_smiley.gif

VF. Actually, the Prehead allows for finer bass enhancement than Xin.
wink.gif

May 16, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Or he could get the ppx3 slam and not have to worry about a bass boost. You hippies and your tone controls.
k1000smile.gif

May 16, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
VF. Actually, the Prehead allows for finer bass enhancement than Xin.
wink.gif

That it does! I have actually often wondered how much boost the Prehead provides. My main amp is a HA-2 MkII SE, and it has a VERY subtle bass boost, I know the pre-head offers a little more. But since I use Darth Beyers with my Meier amp, I don't use the bass boost
orphsmile.gif

May 16, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 14
I used to use a modded Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 with CD3000, and got a very dynamic and fun sound. I'm now using a completely stock old-style PPX-3, but the CD3000 was modded by Headphile (well something had to be modded). Bass is clean and clear, instrument separation nice, image and detail all very good. The CD3000 doesn't really need the Slam!, IMO (although extra power never hurts). I'm having a blast simply with 6CG7's in the older unit. Sounds better than it has any right to
tongue.gif

May 16, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 14
You should give a Maxed Out PPA a try. I had great success with that b/f I moved on to the RKV MKII. The Singlepower MPX-3 should also be on your list.

May 16, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards Singlepower, but that requires more cash than I was hoping to spend...Damn you all!
biggrin.gif

My poor wallet.

Now that I have Headphile CD3ks on the way I need the right amp to make them really shine.
biggrin.gif

I'm still curious about the Master though, as a temp solution, so if anyone can give me some feedback in it that would be great.

May 26, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 14
With my CD3Ks I use the following settings on the Prehead MkII:

- Zero Ohm output (well, haven't really tried the 120 Ohms)
- Low crossfeed (MUCH better for long listening sessions, although it does detract a little from detail and bass, but this is known as a psycho-acustical effect and has been discussed to death...)
- Full bass enhancement (both switches "on"). This is still a slight bass enhancement, and far from any kind of "boost"!! In fact, it is exactly what the CD3K needs.
- "Neutral" position for the highs (bypass circuit)

I really love the Prehead with the CD3Ks. That's why I don't post here so often any more. I think I have reached my optimum in what I need for headphone listening.
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

...but I'm already frightened about the day my CD3Ks will break down. I'm not sure if there is any headphone on the market today that has it's great signature sound, or even something that comes close...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back