Help Picking a Project
Aug 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tank

New Head-Fier
I was hoping you guys could help me pick a starter amp project. My current DAC is the Musiland Monitor 02 US and I want to build an amp that will be able to run the following decently well (I'm guessing it will have to be solid state or hybrid):

ATH-AD700
Alessandro MS1i
Klipsch kg-4 speakers (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kg-4-specifications/)

I'm hoping the project will let me spend ~$300, but I'm not sure it's viable. Any input would be appreciated as I am pretty new to DYI amps. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 7
What kind of experience do you have building gear? If you haven't built before, assemble a CMoy. It'll teach you a lot and you should be able to sell it if you don't want it afterwards.

From there, you should look at the Bottlehead Crack, Dynalo, M^3, and CK2III.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd also throw a MiniMax kit in there. TomB has done a great job with this kit, everything looks easy to put together and the documentation is awesome. He's also basically done the casework for you, which was by far the hardest part of my recent SSMH build.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 7
You might want to consider doing two different amps.

Something like a PIMETA or Mini^3 for your headphones
and a Gainclone for your speakers. These are pretty easy
projects to start with. You can build something bigger and
more expensive if you get the bug...

Quote:
I was hoping you guys could help me pick a starter amp project. My current DAC is the Musiland Monitor 02 US and I want to build an amp that will be able to run the following decently well (I'm guessing it will have to be solid state or hybrid):

ATH-AD700
Alessandro MS1i
Klipsch kg-4 speakers (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kg-4-specifications/)

I'm hoping the project will let me spend ~$300, but I'm not sure it's viable. Any input would be appreciated as I am pretty new to DYI amps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back