Help picking a Closed Headphone for work
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LanceM

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for some suggestions for a good headphone that isolates and has minimal sound leakage. I will be using these mostly at the office. I listen to a wide variety of music (pretty much everything).

I'm new to all this, but do have the DT880 250 ohm pros and I like the sound it produces. I think the bass is adequate. The only thing bad about it was that it does clamp a little much on my head (but I wanted the added bass).

But overall they are very comfy especiall the pads.

I am looking for a full size headphone that will be driven by my iphone 3g and my headsix portable amp and < $250. I will be wearing these for long periods of time, so they have to comfy and hopefully not make my ears sweat.

From browsing the site I saw that the M50, DT770 250 premium/consumer, SRH-840, and Senn 448 are commonly suggested. Can anyone give some insight which would best suit my needs? Also, I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 20
D2000 might be in your price range; there's a ton of information about it in this forum. Try buying used if just trying out different headphones.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 20
D2000's are great. I've heard they do pretty well with the amp you have. They do leak a little. I've asked my roommates numerous times about the leakage and they said they can only pick out the higher notes. I should add that I listen at low to mid volume. I can sometimes hear what's going on around me but usually I don't notice it. If your looking for great sound and comfort these are the ticket.
The M50's are probably a bit safer bet as their isolation is incredible and have a good overall sound with more bass.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 20
ATH-A700 or A900 isolate pretty well and are really comfortable. They're crazy big, however, and the sound is a hit or miss depending on how you like it. AKG K271 Mk II may also be worth a look, though I honestly don't have much experience with it.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 20
I haven't heard any of the others, but the M50 is very good for me as a work headphone.

Isolation: It isolates well enough that I had to move my phone, or else I wouldn't hear it ring. Now I can see it ring, so I'm all set on that end. The downside is that co-workers can come into my cube and startle me if I'm looking the other way. (and this is when I listen to my music fairly quietly) The upside is that I haven't been disturbed by noise since I got them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort: On the first day, I couldn't wear them for more than an hour at a time. The clamping force put too much pressure on my head. After about a week or two, I could wear them for a full workday, no problem. The pleather pads do get slightly warm, so I'm considering the velour mod, but the pleather is still comfortable, and doesn't make me sweat as much as the closed gaming headphones I have at home.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 20
The D2000s leak quite a bit at louder volumes, but it's not bothersome at all at lower levels.

They're also the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, I can hardly notice they're on and my ears don't get hot at all compared to other closed phones.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard any of the others, but the M50 is very good for me as a work headphone.

Isolation: It isolates well enough that I had to move my phone, or else I wouldn't hear it ring. Now I can see it ring, so I'm all set on that end. The downside is that co-workers can come into my cube and startle me if I'm looking the other way. (and this is when I listen to my music fairly quietly) The upside is that I haven't been disturbed by noise since I got them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort: On the first day, I couldn't wear them for more than an hour at a time. The clamping force put too much pressure on my head. After about a week or two, I could wear them for a full workday, no problem. The pleather pads do get slightly warm, so I'm considering the velour mod, but the pleather is still comfortable, and doesn't make me sweat as much as the closed gaming headphones I have at home.

Thanks for your impressions. They are really in the running.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyroshock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000s leak quite a bit at louder volumes, but it's not bothersome at all at lower levels.

They're also the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, I can hardly notice they're on and my ears don't get hot at all compared to other closed phones.

The d2000s would be perfect for me if they would isolate better and not leak. I'm still debating on these.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 20
Do check out the AKG K271 mk2, it's quite good. It definitely doesn't have a ton of bass, but what's there sounds very tight. It isolates quite decently, too (much to the chagrin of my family >.>) and I thought it was pretty comfy.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 20
How do the M50 and A900 stack up? The one thing I am worried about with the M50 is too much bass. Hopefully, they have the m50 at guitar center. I'll take a ride out there tomorrow.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do check out the AKG K271 mk2, it's quite good. It definitely doesn't have a ton of bass, but what's there sounds very tight. It isolates quite decently, too (much to the chagrin of my family >.>) and I thought it was pretty comfy.

Awesome. I'll check them out.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back