Help pick a 200$ IEM that isn't chi-fi
Oct 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 34
After reading a few reviews on amazon it seems like they got a really bad problem with cables going bad after a few months. I'm back to the drawing board. Lost again. I don't want to buy a 200$ IEM to find out that it sound worse that OEM phone earbuds also.I'm sorry for my indecisiveNess and I know that to each his different opinion on earphones but In my case I can't ship back and I can't try out beforehand

Not sure if the Kickers and those in that line use a totally different cable than the ASG series (other than a different outer jacket) but mine is still going strong. Only problem with it is that the clear jacket (which aesthetically matches the the transparent shell) shows the copper taking on a green hue over time (ie kind of like Lady Liberty, which like cables is made of copper).

Either way, you can pick up any cable as long as the plug on the headphone side fits. Aurisonics/Fender uses the smaller CIEM two pins.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #18 of 34
Would you recommend any spare cable purchase? Also how are the provided tips ? Any tip recommendation? Sorry I'm asking a lot of question but it will be at least 1 year before I can get anything imported again and the local market I'd fairly weak.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #19 of 34
Would you recommend any spare cable purchase?

No specific brand but you can ask in the Cables subforum for what CIEM cable that fits the shell socket si within your budget.

The one thing I'd really be concerned about apart from if the plugs fit is how microphonic they are. If worn properly they shouldn't move around too much and even then you shouldn't hear any noise through the cable.

I found this one on Amazon but double check the socket. ASG-1.3 is the small CIEM socket, but the line tht includes the Kicker and became the Fender IEMs might be using the larger one, based on pictures and how they're listed here along with the ones that have the larger plug.
https://www.amazon.com/BuyJapan-upg...d=1508690487&sr=8-2&keywords=aurisonics+cable

Also how are the provided tips?

Better than the ones that came with the ASG-1 and 1.2.

Any tip recommendation?

I use the Sony Hybrid tips. The Aurisonics tips are softer and seal a little bit better but have too much of a synthetic plastic feel against the skin. Hard to describe it but think of a very snug, comfortable rain coat that still feels like a rain coat vs how a somewhat thicker condom feels.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 34
After checking, the fender fxa2 specs specify an MMCXi cable.
Here's the prices I got for the different options I got. I need to pick before next week:
- fender's fxa2 (190$)
-Sony MDR 7550 (220$)
-Audio technica ATH-E50 (200$)

If I go with the fender I'll have to purchase a cable and also some tips which will bring the price close to the 2 other IEM. Audio technica are also known for harsh tips seeing the reviews so price won't really be a criteria.
If anyone could give their 2 cent on the 2 models that weren't discussed yet.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 34
After checking, the fender fxa2 specs specify an MMCXi cable.

Check if Fiio has a cable with those plugs. If they do it'll be around $35.

If I go with the fender I'll have to purchase a cable and also some tips which will bring the price close to the 2 other IEM.

Not sure why you would think you'd only need a cable for that IEM. They're the first point of failure on earphones and headphones, which is why they're detachable now on most of them, and more so on IEMs that you'll have to coil to stow away. Not having breakage as a common point being brought up in one IEM's review doesn't guarantee you won't wound them around wrong at some point or snag something like a door knob.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #22 of 34
I guess you are right afterall. I would purchase a spare cable anyway in all cases. Its just that a lot of options are there and I didn't hear anything yet so I'm scared of puting them in my ears and be disappointed.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 34
I guess you are right afterall. I would purchase a spare cable anyway in all cases. Its just that a lot of options are there and I didn't hear anything yet so I'm scared of puting them in my ears and be disappointed.

Why not just buy something cheaper so if you can't tell the difference you're not out a lot of money? Like the KZ ZST or ZS6.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #25 of 34
I've been using cheap earphones for a long time. I'm used to the fake feeling they offer. Those would be my first real pair.

The thing is though until you get to something like the Westone W30, Shure SE425, and Etymotic ER6, it's mostly the ergonomics that improves with more expensive IEMs. The shell on Aurisonics IEMs for one more easily go into the concha of my ears than ZST and TFZ shells, mostly because Aurisonics modeled theirs as an average of the CIEM molds they had on file. Although there was a bulge in the ASG-1 that was flattened for the 1.2 and later revisions.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #26 of 34
Have you considered the Sony XBA-A3? They can be had used for around $200 :)

They're a warm IEM with a slightly boosted bass, but still retain plenty of detail. Also, I have a lot of confidence in their build.. mine went through the wash and came out alive.

My first step into better audio was getting a pair of Shure se215. The XBA-A3 were a significant improvement over the Shures (which I still recommend for the sub $50 price point).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #27 of 34
For now I've ruled out audio technicas completely because all reviews do accept the fact that they lack a lot of bass. And honestly if I was to decide it's the most important criteria for me. So it's all down to fenders and sony's.I'll give It a bit more thoughts and see what I can come up with. I would like to emphasize that buying used is not an option for me due to the big geological difference. Even if I can't benefit from a warranty the fact that it's there is an extra durability point. I don't care to change a cable or a tip over time. But the whole thing falling apart under 2 years of use is not something I would expect.
Sony discontinued all their dynamic drivers except for 2 models. I'm looking at the mdr 7550 on the other end of the spectrum. It's either that or the fender fxa2

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #28 of 34
Just an update about what I ended up deciding: even though there's a lot of taste-based factors between the Sony MDR 7550 and the Fender FXA2; I'm leaning more toward the FXA2 as they got a more commonly available MMXC connection (MMXCi but they are compatible I guess?) But the Sony MDR 7550 uses a proprietary cable as far as I'm reading which cost quite a lot compared to MMXCi and is nearly unavailable from online stores (which are popular enough; someone is going to buy them for me from amazon and get them during his next trip so buying anything from another website is not available for me). This win goes to the fender FXA2. Just a question though: how wide is their soundstage though?

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 34
I'm leaning more toward the FXA2 as they got a more commonly available MMXC connection (MMXCi but they are compatible I guess?)

MMCXi is only different at the socket on the earshells - basically the only difference being how the wire to the drivers go into the socket. Otherwise, barring how the sockets are put in the shell (ie if they're recessed) that might require thinner MMCX plugs on the cables, they're fully compatible. I checked out photos and the sockets don't look recessed, although there's a square in black that would have its corners visible if you use a plug with a slimmer and/or circular base on the plug.

Just a question though: how wide is their soundstage though?

Since IEMs fire directly into the ear canals unlike how some headphones can mimic speaker toe-in angles by positioning the drivers more towards the front of the listener's head (ex HD800, CD3000, asymmetrical earpads on the K7-- series, etc), IEMs aren't really going to have spectacularly deep soundstage. That said, if they don't have any treble peaks, even if the cymbals are imaged inside your head, such an IEM won't have the cymbals sounding like they're there to scratch and smash your eardrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back