Help: Philips Mini-Watt EL34 XF2 tube issue.
Jan 24, 2015 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Y26-Day

Head-Fier
Hi mods,

If this post is in the wrong section, please move it to the right one.

I got a set of match quad XF2 EL34 w/ double halos and one of them is shown as the following link;

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7DA2DB5558CF0771!196&authkey=!AHnRWL4fVD3EukQ&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

All other three seems fine physically as I haven't plug them in yet but this one is missing one of the O and can't seem to find the missing O inside the tube if it was there to start with.

Is this normal and would the missing piece cause any damage to my system?  Sound quality degraded?

I will take this to my Ebay seller as well but wish to know more as I can't seems to find any info on the internet.

Cheers.

The markings on the tubes are
"XF2"
"Made in Holland" 
"B6A5"

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Looks like one of the getter lost its halo. If its inside loose I would not use it. If its just not there its a manufacturing defect. It should not affect the performance of the tube. The getter's function is to react with any residual gas inside the vacuum tube. There's still one in there so it should be ok. If the seller knew about it he should have stated it in the description. If not then ask for a replacement.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you Wuwhere,

I shake it and the tube did make some clinkclink noise but so are the others with 2 getters intact.

It seems that there isn't any loose getter/part inside the tube and thanks for the info of what the getter does.  Lesson learned.

Will contact my ebay seller to discuss of possible replacement but can't be too optimistic about the outcome.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 6
  Looks like one of the getter lost its halo. If its inside loose I would not use it. If its just not there its a manufacturing defect. It should not affect the performance of the tube. The getter's function is to react with any residual gas inside the vacuum tube. There's still one in there so it should be ok. If the seller knew about it he should have stated it in the description. If not then ask for a replacement.

One more question to Wuwhere and others,

The getter functions a degas mechanism and if there we were to quantify the functions of it in term of numeric value as 100%.

Would the tube with single getter be functioning at 50% level.  Would it be better to use my Mullard re-issued EL34 in this case?

Sorry if the question is stupid as I really have no clue.

Thanks again. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 6
  One more question to Wuwhere and others,

The getter functions a degas mechanism and if there we were to quantify the functions of it in term of numeric value as 100%.

Would the tube with single getter be functioning at 50% level.  Would it be better to use my Mullard re-issued EL34 in this case?

Sorry if the question is stupid as I really have no clue.

Thanks again. 

There are EL34s with a single getter like this Philips on the right. Its just the way they were designed.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 6
The getter rings don't serve a function after the tube leaves the factory; they carry the chemical that creates the silvery getter flashing patch on the tube -- once that's done the rings serve no further purpose. The flashing remaining on that tube is not spectacular, but it's adequate.

That tube looks like a 2-O design where one ring fell off. Definitely a huge hazard if it's loose in the tube (because it can cause a catastrophic short), but normally you'd be able to observe it rattling around -- best case scenario it came out at the factory before the tube was sealed...but how can you know for sure? I would NOT use my amp as a tube tester for such a tube. A reputable tube seller should agree to take this tube back. And honestly they should do a better job checking their stock (another thing I see is 9-pin tubes with a loose or even missing pin).

It's impossible to tell whether the remaining flashing is lopsided because that ring came off before the flash (but this is a possibility), or whether the ring was in place for the flash and fell off later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back