Help PC Audio Newbie Out...
Feb 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
I've finally decided to make the switch to PC audio courtesy of an Esoteric K-01 (via USB asynchronous input) that will also do SACD playback, but I'm not entirely sure what all I need to make that switch. I'm planning on having a Custom PC built from EndPCNoise, but I'm not sure what features are necessary. Basically, I want to send the signal as cleanly as possible from the PC to the K-01 DAC, and I'm not sure how/if noise, jitter, sound cards, etc. would affect the chain. So, eg, is there any reason to invest in a better sound card? Or does the signal even pass the sound card on its way to the DAC? EndNoise offers a lot of "silencing" options, but I didn't know if stopping audible noise in the PC (like from fans and HDs) would have any affect on the audio.

I was also curious about running blu-ray audio through the K-01. I know it couldn't decode surround mixes, but it should be able to do stereo PCM, right? Would it be a simple matter of running the USB cable from the PC to the K-01 to get audio and then an HDMI from the PC to the monitor to get video? One of the things I'm looking forward to most (hopefully) is watching operas on blu-ray and using the K-01 for the audio.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Off the top of my head, I'd say use a SSD for storage ( assuming price is no object for you ). No moving parts apparently reduces jitter from what I've read. If the machine is just for audio storage/playback, you shouldn't need a big powerful processor, so that'll help on keeping heat down and more than 4GB of RAM, I'd think, would be more than necessary. As for an sound card, I've read many good things about the Asus Xonar series. I haven't looked into it for some time, so you may want to check out their website. Since heat isn't going to be much of an issue, I don't think you'll need more than 2 fans ( one in, one out ). There are many fan makers that have really quiet fans for a reasonable price.

Hope some of this helps.

Edit: I only mention the sound card so you'd have the option for SPDIF out. I don't know anything about your DAC. Just wanted to throw that option out there.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 5
If it's a USB DAC it will bypass any other sound card.

Personally, I think the real advantages in PC audio lie not in bit perfect playback (component CD players by definition all do that) but in how it can CHANGE the bits going out of the PC to make components downstream actually sound better than with the original bitstream. Things like super powerful parametric EQ and digital room correction are all within the reach of PC software. I know I'm changing the bits around a whole lot even on my current speaker setup (mainly parametric EQ to correct response on a per channel basis) and the sound is definitely much better than straight-through. I don't se that changing even with massive upgrade to the hardware and plan to move up to full digital room correction when I have the time and money to invest in the hardware and software needed for the measurements and computations.:)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I think the real advantages in PC audio lie not in bit perfect playback (component CD players by definition all do that) but in how it can CHANGE the bits going out of the PC to make components downstream actually sound better than with the original bitstream.
When you have a DAC as mind-blowing as the K-01 I think the real advantage is in hearing what it can do with bit-perfect audio, but in any more modest set-up the ability to modify those bits would be a huge advantage. That said, I can still test what certain programs (like JRiver, which I'll probably be using as my player) can do with those bits before it hits the DAC. Plus, the K-01 has several filter settings itself to modify the stream, so I'm definitely going to have some bit-tweaking ability anyway I look at it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 5
I think it just depends on how you look at it, some are purists and they want everything exact and bit perfect with no changes.  The idea of any modification gives them nightmares :)

Others don't mind using effects such as EQ's, enhancers and/or modellers.  I think either approach is fine, it is your rig and your enjoyment so use whatever sounds the best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back