Help on vinyl with HD 800 (Sold the AKG Q701)
Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 24
you need a new pair of headphones for your vinyl. I'm happy with the 701 with vinyl, it sounds not too much different from the digital versions besides all the expected improvements and faults. From my own experience, vinyl is the most enjoyable with a pair of headphone when it is damn clean, pops are really annoying with headphones.
Get yourself something thicker sounding, HD650s maybe, they are thick sounding with a very nice bottom, which is one of the weakness of vinyl imo. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 24
Btw, how's the Roksan Radius 5?? they got quite cheap these days, I'm thinking about getting myself one. they are like 549 pounds in the UK, which comparing to its original price of 1449, sounds too good to be true. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #18 of 24
My experience is that vinyl and headphone's don't play well together.  Headphones really blossom in being able to refine detail to a level that speakers cannot, and this is mostly due to the closeness of the driver to your ears.  Speakers give you the incredible soundstage and precise instrument placement that you can't get with headphones.  

So knowing that, and combining vinyl with the AKG's already super-bright and incredibly detail oriented sound signature and you have a bad match.  

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
My experience is that vinyl and headphone's don't play well together.  Headphones really blossom in being able to refine detail to a level that speakers cannot, and this is mostly due to the closeness of the driver to your ears.  Speakers give you the incredible soundstage and precise instrument placement that you can't get with headphones.  

So knowing that, and combining vinyl with the AKG's already super-bright and incredibly detail oriented sound signature and you have a bad match.  

I wouldn't necessarily say they are a bad match, maybe not ideal, but still can be enjoyable. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 24
For about 20 years all I listened to was vinyl--or tape.  Headphones do fine with vinyl.  At the Austin meet today I had the opportunity to to pair my Q 701 with a quality turntable & cartridge, turntable pre-amp and an Avenson Audio headphone amp.  The Q 701 sang as well as they ever had with quality recorded CDs.  Frequency response, clarity, sound stage--all of it was there.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Btw, how's the Roksan Radius 5?? they got quite cheap these days, I'm thinking about getting myself one. they are like 549 pounds in the UK, which comparing to its original price of 1449, sounds too good to be true. 

I have owned 2 other tables, Rega P2 and Clearaudio Emotion.
Have to say that Roksan is much better. Goes very will with my naim setup, brings out the PRAT in the music.
Think it has to do with the uni-pivot Nima arm. Personally think they are very well designed TT

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 24
I heard the HD650, yes it is warmer and slightly laid back but seems like a big step back in terms of soundstage, which is kinda important for me especially coming from a speaker setup...

I think I may have been too hopeful trying to pair GSP with AKG, it is just no powerful enough...
As much as possible I would like to keep the AKGs, I think they present music well...

How about Meier which has the option for bass boost when listening to vinyl?

The only other headphone that has AKGs soundstage is HD800, not sure if I want to go there... yet...

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
The only other headphone that has AKGs soundstage is HD800, not sure if I want to go there... yet...

Or there's the Audio Technica AD700 but the sound quality there leaves a few things to be desired...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back