Help on vinyl with HD 800 (Sold the AKG Q701)
Mar 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tropicana

100+ Head-Fier
Edited post

I have changed my setup from GSP Solo ll Green -> AKG Q701 to Meier Classic -> HD 800

Vinyl: Roksan Radius 5 -> GSP Era Gold -> Shure M97XE (Jico SAS)

DAC: Centrance Dacport LX

I am perfectly satisfied with my DAC setup  All the good things that HD 800 has to offer.  I do not find any sibilance on the HD 800 after about 2 months of listening BUT I have to say that the highs can at times be too pronounced.

With Vinyl, I am still unable to entirely enjoy the sound.  Firstly, my vinyl setup generally sounds brighter, thinner and light on bass, even on my speaker system.  And on the HD 800 it is really unflattering.

Hence I am considering two options.

1) Buy a tube amp - Hopefully this will roll off the top a little, thicken the mid-range and add weight to the bass.

2) Buy anpther headphone for vinyl, D7000 or LCD2, which have less sizzle on the top, thicker sounding and heavy bass.  

Which would be a better option?  I read that the characteristics of HD 800 hardly change with different amplifiers,would I be better off with option 2?

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Nope, sounds the same on speakers.

Things to check :-

1) Condition of your vinyl, clean and use a anti-static spray.

2) Check your pre amp for 'rumble' features, a good quality phono amp should have the ability to minimize
     this.

3) Cartridge, recommend you swap it out for a second unit just to test.

Go from there.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
I don't think it is a technical issue here but rather the headphone is unable to reproduce the analog sound.

Few things are guarantees in this life, but that is 100% wrong unless you suspect that your K702's are faulty
 - the AKG K series is one of the most common headphones you will see at any Hi-Fi show.

Here is what is more likely ~ your speakers are nowhere near as resolving as your Q701's hence you are picking
up the vinyl faults.

It's pretty much generally accepted that even the most expensive speakers for 'micro detail and recording faults'
cannot match a good headphone.

Example, I hear recording errors with the HD800 and PS1000 that I cannot hear on a $30,000AUD pair of
Vienna Acoustic 'The Music' speakers.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 24
Thanks, never thought of it that way.

Headphones definitely extracts so much more details.
I am hearing a lot of new things on my music.

I am fine with the imperfections of vinyl, the ticks and pops.
Because the sound is so thin, I had to turn the volume up, then ticks and pops becomes unbearable.

Issue I have is, are the AKGs too neutral for vinyl?
secondly it sounds so thin on vinyl, but CDs are fine.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 24
I don't see why you'd go from hi fi to head fi... it's not reallly like you have to choose one or another. I think it's nice to have a decent sound system for when you have company at least... and for myself... I prefer headphones. 

I'm jussayin... audiophiles don't have to choose between speakers and HP's.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Thanks, never thought of it that way.

Headphones definitely extracts so much more details.
I am hearing a lot of new things on my music.

I am fine with the imperfections of vinyl, the ticks and pops.
Because the sound is so thin, I had to turn the volume up, then ticks and pops becomes unbearable.

Issue I have is, are the AKGs too neutral for vinyl?
secondly it sounds so thin on vinyl, but CDs are fine.

The K series and Q701 are not the thickest sounding headphones for vinyl, it is also likely that you are still getting used to the lack of compression
 that engineers use when remixing and mastering CD's - they use this technique to make CD more punchy, loud and dynamic, but usually at the
 expense of detail.

This is also why you are turning the volume up so high with vinyl compared with CD.

Perhaps consider a thicker more colorful sound - suggestions included for vinyl would be - Denon D5000 or RS1 - the LCD2 would be good
 too but these do not have any sound stage compared to the Q701. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 24
OK, now we are getting somewhere....

So you'd reckon that changing amp wouldn't help?  Something with a higher gain?

I don't think I can forgo the soundstage of Q701 though.
From what you are saying it seems like it is a trade off against "thickness".

I have auditioned the Beyer T1, HD800 and LCD2, to me HD800 has a pretty large soundstage and it does sound fuller, from what I recall...
I wouldn't mind getting the HD800 BUT, just want to be sure before I pour $$ into getting it.  Home audition is not possible where I come from.
Most show room allow ppl to demo with MP3s or CDs only.

Or I could own 2 headphones, get another for vinyl? D5000 you say?
I tried Grado, don't really like it.. Singapore is too hot and humid to put on something like the LCD2, would probably sweat in it.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
OK, now we are getting somewhere....

So you'd reckon that changing amp wouldn't help?  Something with a higher gain?

I don't think I can forgo the soundstage of Q701 though.
From what you are saying it seems like it is a trade off against "thickness".

I have auditioned the Beyer T1, HD800 and LCD2, to me HD800 has a pretty large soundstage and it does sound fuller, from what I recall...
I wouldn't mind getting the HD800 BUT, just want to be sure before I pour $$ into getting it.  Home audition is not possible where I come from.
Most show room allow ppl to demo with MP3s or CDs only.

Or I could own 2 headphones, get another for vinyl? D5000 you say?
I tried Grado, don't really like it.. Singapore is too hot and humid to put on something like the LCD2, would probably sweat in it.

Denon D5000 would fit the bill, it's the easiest to drive from that selection of headphones. Does your phono amp have any gain settings?

The other issue is your head amp ~ Graham Slee with any HD800, LCD2, Q701 is not going to drive them with authority but
 it should work well with an efficient Denon.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 24
Nope, no gain settings...

In that case, I am more inclined to change the amp and keep the Q701.

Prefer SS only: Meier? Burson? Headamp?  Will need something with two analog input.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 24
I high doubt the difference in a high quality amp like the GLS to another high end amp will change enough to make you happy. Consider giving the Beyer T70 or Sennheiser HD650 a shot, they both have good soundstage and very different sound signatures, the HD650 is warm and lush it may just make you very happy. The T70 has amazing clarity but it's not as lush as the HD650.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I high doubt the difference in a high quality amp like the GLS to another high end amp will change enough to make you happy. Consider giving the Beyer T70 or Sennheiser HD650 a shot, they both have good soundstage and very different sound signatures, the HD650 is warm and lush it may just make you very happy. The T70 has amazing clarity but it's not as lush as the HD650.

Yeh T70 would not be my 'numero uno' contender for a situation where someone is looking for a thicker, lusher sound. Great headphone, I've been quite
 impressed with the portable version but a/bing back to back with a few other headphones at the same time - it does not present a very robust full
 sonic signature, a bit like the K series - it's quick, clear and airy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back