Help on FIRST headphone purchase!
Oct 1, 2005 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Sl300

Head-Fier
So i stumbled onto this site a few weeks back and i've been reading posts after posts about closed headphones just to get myeslf familar

I've always wanted a nice set of semi-portable headphones for home/library/bus purposes,
After reading the forums here for a few days i THINK i narrowed down my list to a select few, Keep in mind that this is my first purchase so i havent used any "hihg-end" set of headphones yet so i would like some opinions?

I will be using the headphones lets say 50% at home, 30% in the library, 20% walking around campus/busing or what not.

AH my budget goes up to 100, if needed 200 max

AKG 240M i heard is a great bang for the buck
Senn HD280 im hearing mixed reviews for these
AKG K271 a bit pricey would it be worth it? I read somewhere that these get really hot and are hard to keep on for long hours
Senn HD 437/457 Made to be portable, havent heard much reviews about this one

I listen to hiphop music 100% of the time, im a bit fan of old school/underground stuff is that makes a difference, Bass is not too much of an issue, i would like detailed sound, as long as hte bass is there and not too weak im happy. Treble must be crisp im not a big fan of hte buzzing noise at high volumes

I dont think i will be buying a amp for my headphones, Also keep in mind i'll have to lug these w/ me when i goto class everyday or if i go study in the library. I would be listening to these ranging from 10-40minute sessions, or up to 4 hours. I would prefer Closed Circumaural 'Phones, i dont want my sound leaking out when im in the library

btw im located in toronto/waterloo, canada i've been doing some searches but i havent found a store that may carry what i want, i think i will have to make it an online purchase

Any other suggestions other then the ones i posted above?
Thanks and advance!

Oct 1, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 26
So are you only looking at cans or are IEM's something you're willing to consider? I'm personally a fan of IEM's and I would reccomend the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro. The regular price is $250 but its not very difficult to find places that'll bring them down to $195.

Since you'll be using them mostly at school they're great and are very low-profile (don't want to advertise your new high-end phones, especially with threads of people getting their 'phones stolen in school).

Also, they don't leak very much if at all which is good for when you're at the library so you can listen at your regular volume levels without disturbing other.

Now as far as sound goes the UE's cover the entire range in fine detal. Bass is plentiful, just make sure you get a good seal.

Anyways, hope this helped. Good luck.

Oct 1, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 26
Welcome to the forum!!! sorry about your wallet.

IMHO both the AKG cans on your list sound like fart underamped.... IMHO you should factor that into your budget. I really like my K240s, paired with my gmoy. It has a nice warm signature thats very attractive. It occupies a nice little spot in the mid-fi level headphone market. More bass than the K501, more soundstage than a comparable Grado, easier to drive, and a little more agressive sounding than the HD580. Its also cheaper. IMHO a K420s for $85 and PA2V2 or govibe is a stellar budget rig. Not the most portable though. The AKG 240 series cans are NOT closed, so they will leak sound out. How much depends on your listening habbits.

If portability is as important as sonics you might want to consider the MDRV6. Others will recommend one of their eggo models, although I have never heard one. They fold into a ball and are durable while folded.

**edit** I should clarify tha i have never heard any of the eggo models so I am not qualified to comment on them in detail. One thing for sure is they are very popular on this forum.

Oct 1, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Welcome to the forum!!! sorry about your wallet.

IMHO both the AKG cans on your list sound like fart underamped.... IMHO you should factor that into your budget. I really like my K240s, paired with my gmoy. It has a nice warm signature thats very attractive. It occupies a nice little spot in the mid-fi level headphone market. More bass than the K501, more soundstage than a comparable Grado, easier to drive, and a little more agressive sounding than the HD580. Its also cheaper. IMHO a K420s for $85 and PA2V2 or govibe is a stellar budget rig. Not the most portable though. The AKG 240 series cans are NOT closed, so they will leak sound out. How much depends on your listening habbits.

If portability is as important as sonics you might want to consider the MDRV6 or eggo. They fold into a ball and are durable while folded.

^^Riku540^^ im not a fan of ear buds, i cant listen to them for long hours
the

the akg's are semi closed? would i be ablet o play music on a reasonable sound level?
i like the look at the eggo's i just read a few reviews and they seem good, have u used them b4? being able to fold up is a big plus because i will be bringing them with me in between classes and such

what do you think about the hd280's though? they can fold up and there are great reviews about them

*HAS ANYONE PURCHASED ANYTHING FROM AUDIOCUBE TO CANADA? if so how long was shpping? on the site it says shipping is only 7 bucks

Oct 2, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
akg 240m. get that and leave and never ever come back here.

haha
mmm wont the 240's leak?

im pretty set on the d66's, any1 ordered from audiocubes before?

Oct 2, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 26
I have never ordered from Audiocubes, but a lot of people on this site have and have been happy with their service. Just don't expect your cans in a few days.

Oct 2, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300
the akg's are semi closed? would i be ablet o play music on a reasonable sound level?

what do you think about the hd280's though? they can fold up and there are great reviews about them

I think you can listen to them at a low level... in a quiet library, but any moderate volume will certainly disturb others.

I for one dont like the HD280. Its all treble and sub-bass, everything in between (65-6khz) is lifeless dull and ... boring. It is a nice sound if you just want some background tunes... and dont really want to focus on the music too much. The fragile headband is its biggest flaw. I bought a used set for $30 just to try it out, and sold it for the same amount.

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I think you can listen to them at a low level... in a quiet library, but any moderate volume will certainly disturb others.

I for one dont like the HD280. Its all treble and sub-bass, everything in between (65-6khz) is lifeless dull and ... boring. It is a nice sound if you just want some background tunes... and dont really want to focus on the music too much. The fragile headband is its biggest flaw. I bought a used set for $30 just to try it out, and sold it for the same amount.

how does the AKG 240 compare to the sony eggo's d66? i gotta choose soon time, need'em asap

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 26
Bump your price up as much as you can. The Price to Performance ratio of high quality 'phones is pretty wild at the lower end.

Thats to say the more you spend at this price point gets you better sound than from say $500-$600, the law of diminishing returns.

Good 'phones have a habit of blowing you away when first experiencing good quality sound.

Oct 2, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300
im pretty set on the d66's, any1 ordered from audiocubes before?

Heh, me too, let me know how it goes. I don't think usps will rape us with brokerage/customs fees(or so says my brother), but I'm willing to let someone find out for me.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
Heh, me too, let me know how it goes. I don't think usps will rape us with brokerage/customs fees(or so says my brother), but I'm willing to let someone find out for me.
wink.gif

looks like im going to be that chump, eggo's here i come, unless someone objects? its a shame hte 240's cant fold

Oct 2, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 26
Just as a warning: don't plan to use these cans under loud areas, since Eggs have almost no isolation. These cans will let sound come in, but no sound will leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back