Help on DAC!
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KillerX

New Head-Fier
Hi folks!

I currently own a Citypulse DA2.03e DAC which i use to connect to my laptop and computer speakers. About a month ago, the DAC's USB module surfaced some problems. My laptop is able to detect the presence of the DAC (with usb connected), however no sound would ever exit from the speakers again. When i did a soundtest via my laptop, the green bars indicated some presence of sound but the speakers refused to play anything.

As a result, i am now forced to go Laptop (soundcard) 3.5mm (converter RCA) > DAC (AUX) > DAC (OUT) RCA > SUB > SPEAKERS

My question is, if i go through my soundcard and through DAC via Aux, would it degrade the sound compared to going through USB?

If so, how do i go about bypassing both soundcard and usb to get back what i used to enjoy?

I saw that the DAC allows for Digital as well as Coaxial. Are there are such cables or converters around which caters for Coaxial to USB or Digital to USB?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi folks!

I currently own a Citypulse DA2.03e DAC which i use to connect to my laptop and computer speakers. About a month ago, the DAC's USB module surfaced some problems. My laptop is able to detect the presence of the DAC (with usb connected), however no sound would ever exit from the speakers again. When i did a soundtest via my laptop, the green bars indicated some presence of sound but the speakers refused to play anything.

As a result, i am now forced to go Laptop (soundcard) 3.5mm (converter RCA) > DAC (AUX) > DAC (OUT) RCA > SUB > SPEAKERS

My question is, if i go through my soundcard and through DAC via Aux, would it degrade the sound compared to going through USB?

If so, how do i go about bypassing both soundcard and usb to get back what i used to enjoy?

I saw that the DAC allows for Digital as well as Coaxial. Are there are such cables or converters around which caters for Coaxial to USB or Digital to USB?

Thanks in advance!

From what you describe, I get that the way you are using the DA2.03 now is to bypass the DAC and use only the analog amp. This most likely degrades the sound quality - you should be able to hear the difference.

There are USB to S/PDIF adapters and they're not even that expensive, but before you buy one you should identify what is actually wrong with your setup. I'm afraid the symptoms you described are pointing to the DAC not working - in this case converting to S/PDIF is not going to help. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for the help!

I really don't know what is wrong now. Could it be a driver issue as i am using windows 7 with the citypulse? But as far as i know from previous use, i did not get any problems with drivers as it is plug and play. 

Talking about adapters. Would this help?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XIK39A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A235PXMX0JATIS

So i basically get something like this, connect from PC to this and then to the DAC right? In this case, which would be the device detected by the computer? Would this be a better option than using the soundcard?

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Thank you for the help!

I really don't know what is wrong now. Could it be a driver issue as i am using windows 7 with the citypulse? But as far as i know from previous use, i did not get any problems with drivers as it is plug and play. 

Talking about adapters. Would this help?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XIK39A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A235PXMX0JATIS

So i basically get something like this, connect from PC to this and then to the DAC right? In this case, which would be the device detected by the computer? Would this be a better option than using the soundcard?

Yeah, that will do the job but for a hunderd bucks you can get a new DAC as well. Don't reach for your wallet in a hurry.

It is possible that it could be a driver or configuration issue. Have you tried switching the Citypulse on first and then plugging the USB cable in? Different USB port? Have you checked the Windows settings for the media playback devices? What media player are you using and how is it configured?

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 9
It's "USB-powered"
deadhorse.gif

Asynchronous USB up to 192khz is good though (if your dac can even go that high).

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Yeah, that will do the job but for a hunderd bucks you can get a new DAC as well. Don't reach for your wallet in a hurry.

It is possible that it could be a driver or configuration issue. Have you tried switching the Citypulse on first and then plugging the USB cable in? Different USB port? Have you checked the Windows settings for the media playback devices? What media player are you using and how is it configured?

I tried it before and after, same results. It detects the device but refuses to output any sound. Different USB ports yield the same result. Media player i use is VLC media player.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Triple post off my ipadzzz

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 9
I m not familiar with windows...
But at times, my macAir can detect the external dac but the sound isnt going thru it,
I need to open up the Settings...go to Sound, n Click on the external dac to select it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back