Help on a basic turntable setup
Oct 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

moppelh

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi.  A few months ago i bought a Q701 with the goal of gaming.  Frankly, i fell in love with the sound and use for nothing more than music these days, but so far im still using 320k MP3s, and im not pleased.  I NEED MORE!

So, i wanna build up a basic turntable system.   I say basic because im not a very experienced headfier (yet!), so i still dont really know what i need, what i want and where to go.  

Now, considering i have a low budget (how much im going to spend is to be decided) i wanna know your opinions on a solid entry-level system to be built around the Q701.

basically i think im gonna need and turntable, a preamp, a fullsize (desktop) headphone amp.  these are the only 3 pieces of equipment im gonna need?  i understand some turntables come with preamps, how's sound quality on some of these?  i have lots and lots of questions, but this will be my first truly audiophile setup, so i really need your help!

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 4
From a value for money point of view, your best bet is to go for an older integrated or receiver (ideally 1970s). This will include a good MM phono stage and the headphone socket will be connected to the main amplifier (not a grotty op-amp based afterthought, as on modern receivers). Something from Sansui should offer a good price/performance ratio. In any case, I would advise having it checked out locally to make sure the PSU capacitors are all performing to spec. There is an excellent thread on vintage receivers:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

As for the turntable, go for a good quality, basic manual design. THE classic here is the Rega Planar 3 (also readily available secondhand). Fit this with a good basic MM cartridge (e.g. Ortofon 2M Red), an wall-mount for best results!

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
From a value for money point of view, your best bet is to go for an older integrated or receiver (ideally 1970s). This will include a good MM phono stage and the headphone socket will be connected to the main amplifier (not a grotty op-amp based afterthought, as on modern receivers). Something from Sansui should offer a good price/performance ratio. In any case, I would advise having it checked out locally to make sure the PSU capacitors are all performing to spec. There is an excellent thread on vintage receivers:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners
As for the turntable, go for a good quality, basic manual design. THE classic here is the Rega Planar 3 (also readily available secondhand). Fit this with a good basic MM cartridge (e.g. Ortofon 2M Red), an wall-mount for best results!

I second everything CJG888 said.
The Rega Planar 3 is a great turntable.

Another great turntable is the:
Music Hall MMF 2.2
They come in Piano Black and Glossy White, a little retro looking IMO.

Both are great turntables, you can't go wrong!

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the input guys.  theres a lot of information on that thread, good thing im not in a rush. i live in brazil and importing this kind of hardware is a bitc, so this kind of vintage equipment is a lot easier to get second hand than would be if i had to buy new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back