rand

New Head-Fier
Hi, help me to "correct" the problem...

here's my setup;
Source: Rotel RCD-02
Cable: Ecosse CA-1
amp: gilmore v2

headphone; AKG 501 and HD-600

the system sounds great in some CD's, specially with trio/acoustic jazz. but when comes to vocals, pop, rock music, the system is very bright that i hurt my ears.

...and something even bad happened, I try to change the source with Sony ns-500v, its even more bright..but, it's sooo musical.

so i guess the problem is with my Rotel.

if you think i'm right, which CD player should I use?...price similliarly or little bit high...coz I might sell the rotel...

cheers,

rand

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 19
Strange that you find that setup bright. The Rotel CD player you mention is not particularly bright in my opinion, although it is extended in the treble. Somehow though, I agree on the "lack" of musicality of the Rotel. I have listened to that player with the matching amp, and I'll be frank, it is the amp that rescues the player to a large degree. The RCD-02 is refined, clean sounding and detailed, and throws out a good soundstage, but somehow fails to engage.

Not only that, but I also own an Ecosse CA-1 interconnect. I dont like it. But its certainly not bright. In fact, its slow, warm and muddy. However, a better interconnect would make the brightness worse.

So, perhaps you are looking at a change in player. You are after something with slightly less treble energy, but more power and drive in the lower regions. Therefore, there are a number of players to choose from. At the lower price regions, I believe you cannot go far wrong with a Cambridge Audio D500SE, or even the second hand CD4SE or CD6. These can handily compete with players twice the price in my opinion. Moving up, you can look towards the Rega Planet, Exposure (forget the name) or maybe a NAIM CD3. I think all of these would give you the sound you are looking for.

Jul 9, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 19
I love me some Music Hall mmf cd25. Smooooth!! Sell the Rotel on Audiogon, you should make up most of the dough because its gotten great reviews. MAke a point of mentioning that Rotel doesnt sell over the net or through mail order. You can get a used mmf cd25 for about $350. Good Luck!

Jul 9, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 19
all i can say is i owned a rega planet 2000 and i upgraded to a naim cd 3.5.

the rega planet 2000 is very neutral and musical, it also plays cdr very well that i miss this feature with my naim cd 3.5.

the naim cd 3.5 is in another level - it has unbelievable pace , timing and rhythm , great overall sound, detail , and staging .

you can also look into arcams , musichalls and jolidas.

Jul 9, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 19
thanks....so it's "confirmed" that Rotel IS the problem with my system? is there otherway to make it better beside changing the player right? how about the cable...(just a thought before i'm selling my Rotel). I agree with "extended treble" and not bright, maybe due to lack of musicality it tends to me to raise the volume.

My favourite headphone is AKG 501, so hopefully the cd players that you suggest with my gilmore will suit the headphone.

just for info, mostly i'm listening to chick corea - the problem is that chick has variety of music exploration, from electronic to solo piano, and with current system i have it is impossible to listen to bjork and radiohead.

cheers

rand

Jul 9, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 19
You can try a darker cable.

Jul 9, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 19
rand ,

i also used to have the akg k501 and i have experience of brightness on these phones in certain recordings , and in a sony source.
that time my amp was not that adequate too so the harshness is more .

Jul 9, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
You can try a darker cable.

It doesnt get much darker than the Ecosse CA-1 IMO.

Having said that, I dont really rate the bass much on the CA-1. Perhaps you could try a cable with more bass, such as a Monster cable or something similar.

Jul 9, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Rand ,

IMO and only my opinion , if you can live without the akg k501 - ill advice to get rid of it and get another pair of cans - maybe the cd3000 .

thats what i have noticed with the akgk501 is it is too dependent on a lot of factors and sometimes you cant do any cure anymore.

IMO the cd3000 can do what your hd600 and akg k501 can do - but you have to try it first and hear it before you judge of course.

your cd plater rotel might just be fime - it might just be the akg k501.

Jul 9, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 19
My favorite store in the whole wide world has a Naim CDP for sale right now -

www.echohifi.com

At $550, that is a spanking good deal for a CD-3.

Jul 9, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 19
It's hard to imagine the Rotel cdp > V2 > Hd600 as sounding bright, I've heard the rotel and 2 other rotel cdp's and none of them seemed bright at all. I've got the HD600/cardas and it for sure is not bright. I have not heard the V2 but I havn't read anything where it sounds overly bright. Is every thing new? I don't think your player is your problem.

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 19
Lose the gilmore and your source. Get a tube amp and a nicer cdp. (sell your 501's and gilmore to fund this)

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 19
"Lose the gilmore and your source. Get a tube amp and a nicer cdp" - TimSchirmer

hi, maybe thats the best response :wink: I should change the religion instead...start to think that i'm in a "wrong" path...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back