Help! No sound out of X-Cans with new AC adaptor!
Jun 15, 2002 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Can anyone help? I picked up a new adaptor at Radio Shack for my X-Cans (for more power). The stock adaptor is input 120VAC 60 hZ 9W and output 12v 500mA.

The new one is input 120VAC 60hZ 28W and 12v 1500mA.

When using the new one, the red light at the front is much brighter than with the stock adaptor (due to the extra current I suppose), BUT THERE IS NO SOUND COMING OUT OF THE AMP! Everything is connected correctly but nothing comes out of the headphone jack.

I tried the stock adaptor again and it works fine, sound is there. Tried the new one again and STILL NO SOUND! I reversed the polarity and got no light or sound.

Does anyone know what's up with this? The clerk at Radio Shack was baffled (but then they all are).

Why is the light indicator on but no sound?

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 9
The X-Can requires a 12vac power supply. Is the Radio Shack adapter AC or DC...?

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The X-Can requires a 12vac power supply. Is the Radio Shack adapter AC or DC...?

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

I just checked the fine detail on the box and the RS is 12 VDC not VAC. Idiot salesperson. I guess I'm kinda stupid as well, but they should know what they are doing. Lucky I didn't fry the friggin' thing.

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm interested in what the sonic benefits will be when the correct 'beefed-up' PSU is in place...

First off, I think that my stock 230v 50hz PSU does a damned fine job (I don't know whether there would be a fundamental operating difference between that and a 120v 60hz one?!) So, i'm wondering if this is a significantly worthwhile upgrade, that won't actually melt the X-Can

and Second, it seems slightly bemusing that Musical Fidelity has stopped producing the official PSU upgrade (X-PSU)... If it were that much of an improvement, why discontinue it?

Please don't get the impression that i'm being overly sceptical here... just, until I see someones beamy smiling face saying how great the new PSU is, i'm not convinced that I require one

Thanks

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't think RS has much in the way of large AC adapters. tHis was the problem I had when looking for a better power supply for the X-Can -- It's hard to find a big AC, not DC, transformer without having to build one. But I have seen people post about replacement power supplys since I sold my X-Can.

Jun 17, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 9
There was a post recently in which someone reported good results with a 12vac 4500 ma adapter from hosfelt.com (IIRC) for around $20 including shipping.

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 9
I picked up a couple of AC12V adaptors today, one at 1 amp and the other 1.6

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I picked up a couple of AC12V adaptors today, one at 1 amp and the other 1.6

I bought the 1 amp version from Ratshack today, and I have to say that brings a massive improvement in bass response... anyone who says that tubes are rolled off should give this a try!!

But, it seems (to me, at the moment) to bring everything else forward as well...) its not as delicate as it was before

Has anyone else who's done a PSU swap noticed the same??

Thanks

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

I bought the 1 amp version from Ratshack today, and I have to say that brings a massive improvement in bass response... anyone who says that tubes are rolled off should give this a try!!

But, it seems (to me, at the moment) to bring everything else forward as well...) its not as delicate as it was before

Has anyone else who's done a PSU swap noticed the same??

Thanks

======

I got a tighter bass which perhaps made it sound less prominent with respect to the rest (but still better). I also experienced something like the soundstage's being raised from a little below my ears to level with them---I realize that sounds goofy!
smily_headphones1.gif
That's probably not what you meant by "forward", Duncan....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back