Help: New earphones for iPod Classic
Feb 3, 2008 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chewybacca

New Head-Fier
Hello

I am currently considering several cheap (i.e. under USD$50) earphone models for my iPod Classic, but am stumped as to which one to choose XD.
Generally, I listen to trance/electronica/classical music and would prefer something bassy. Also, I would much prefer a Y-cord than a J-cord, although can someone clarify how much more durability a Y-cord brings as opposed to a J-cord?

Here are some I'm thinking about purchasing:

- Yuin PK3
(Bit worried about durability issues with the J-cord though - does anyone have exp. with these?)
- Sennheiser MX450/500
(Is it still possible to purchase the MX500 in Australia, as I'm aware it has better SQ than the 450?)
- Koss KSC-75
(Heard some good reviews of this model, but is the SQ really better than Sennheiser's PX100, which I'm using?)
- AKG K14P
(Anyone that has exp. with this, 'cos I'm not too familiar with AKG's earbud lineup - how does it compare to Sennheiser's MX450/500?)

Can someone rank these in terms of SQ? Especially the earbuds (seeing the KSC-75 is supposedly top-notch).
I don't want to go IEM btw because I'm not too used to their comfort and fit.

One more general question: Seeing I'm constantly hounded by headphone jacks fraying (I'll learn to keep better care of them
biggrin.gif
), are L-shaped plugs or normal straight plugs better in terms of reliability/longevity?

Any help appreciated. Thanks ^^

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Have you considered Sennheiser CX300s? They can be had for AUD$70 shipped from here. The guy who runs that site also recommends the OVC canal phones which are $59 shipped. I have no experience with them but Marcus' recommendations are usually pretty sound.

I don't see how a J-chord is any less durable. If anything I find Y-chords pull more when I'm wearing them.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 8
As far as I know, CX300 is in-ear, so no go (see OP post). Also, isolation isn't high on my priority list, so an in-ear earphone isn't really required.
Interesting thought on the J/Y-cords though...

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 8
There are two levels of IEMs. The deep insertion type (Shures, Etymotic) and there there's the shallow canal phone type like the CX300s. I don't really like the fit of the deeper ones but the shallow ones are no less comfortable than buds.

The advantage of the CX300s is not just isolation, you will get better sound quality than most buds.

On your original choices. The KSC75s sound great and are widely loved here. But they are open back so will leak a lot of sound. The Yuins have been well received here too, although there has been more praise for the PK1s and 2s than the 3s.

The Koss can usually be had for around $20AUD on eBay from legit sellers. You can't really go wrong with that.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 8
1) If you order PK3 from Head-direct, they all come with Y cord now. I believe Yuin has an Australia dealer. If you are buying from them, You should contact them about the type of cord.

2) MX450 doesn't sound like MX500 as they are not the same series. IMO, MX500 sounds better than MX450. However, PK3 sounds a lot better than both of them.

3) If you are considering CX300, my suggestion is: skip it. You can get Creative EP-630 from DSE for AU$32.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chewybacca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently considering several cheap (i.e. under USD$50) earphone models for my iPod Classic, but am stumped as to which one to choose XD.
Generally, I listen to trance/electronica/classical music and would prefer something bassy. Also, I would much prefer a Y-cord than a J-cord, although can someone clarify how much more durability a Y-cord brings as opposed to a J-cord?

Here are some I'm thinking about purchasing:

- Yuin PK3
(Bit worried about durability issues with the J-cord though - does anyone have exp. with these?)
- Sennheiser MX450/500
(Is it still possible to purchase the MX500 in Australia, as I'm aware it has better SQ than the 450?)
- Koss KSC-75
(Heard some good reviews of this model, but is the SQ really better than Sennheiser's PX100, which I'm using?)
- AKG K14P
(Anyone that has exp. with this, 'cos I'm not too familiar with AKG's earbud lineup - how does it compare to Sennheiser's MX450/500?)

Can someone rank these in terms of SQ? Especially the earbuds (seeing the KSC-75 is supposedly top-notch).
I don't want to go IEM btw because I'm not too used to their comfort and fit.

One more general question: Seeing I'm constantly hounded by headphone jacks fraying (I'll learn to keep better care of them
biggrin.gif
), are L-shaped plugs or normal straight plugs better in terms of reliability/longevity?

I like KSC75 much better than PX100, which in turn much better than MX500.

With J-cord, I can differentiate left and right by touch only, e.g., when in dark. But Y-cord is more balanced between left and right, in theory.

About plug, I like L better than straight.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 8
How about the Sony MDR-EX71 or 81? They can be had for less than $50 online. Deep bassy earphones with decent mids and highs. Very under-the-radar, but give them a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back