Help Needed
Aug 20, 2006 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

con771

New Head-Fier
I have been reading here for a couple of hours and thought it would just be easier to post my question.

I am looking for headphones.

Price range is approx $200 (give or take)

I listen to mostly classic rock and acoustic music.
I listen mainly on my computer as well as amped through a home amp.

I am pretty big on quality and really cherish clear, clean and crisp sound.
For example, Frank Zappa's 'Inca Roads' is one of my favorate songs for clarity and fullness.

Given what kind of music I listen to any recomendations would be great.

I would also be willing to buy from the buy and sell section..

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I think you should look at Grados. In your price range, you'll find the SR-225, SR-325i and the Alessandro MS-2i. The MS-2i is the most neutral and clean of those, so those might be a good fit for you. Check the reviews here and see what you think.

Also, you might take a liking to the AKG K-701. It also has characteristics that you like. Much more neutral than any Grado. If that's your thing, then this is your headphone. If you like clean and crisp with some very fun colorations, try a Grado.

You may like one of the Sennheisers, until you eventually heard a Grado or AKG. They're much more forward in their presentation, and the Senns sound muddy after listening to them. I still listen to the 650 here and there, but I mostly switch between Grado and AKG these days.

Aug 20, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by con771
After reading a bit I've been thinking about the A900's
What do you think?

No, that wouldn't be my first recomendation (although it fits your price range).

As Uncle Erik said, you may look at the Grado SR225 if you can stand the comfort.............................

You can also look at the Beyer DT880, which is a more balanced headphone with much better comfort. You can find the old version for 200$us which is a great deal.

The A900 and DT770pro have recessed mids, so that might not be your cup of tea.

If I were in your position, I would think the DT880 to be ideal.

Aug 20, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7
If I were in your position, I would think the DT880 to be ideal.

The DT880s are way too close to the HD-650s, for me, to recommend them in your case. They're a great headphone, but not necessarily the best for classic rock or acoustic music.
I agree with the Grado SR-225. IMHO, the absolute best headphone for rock and good for anything else except maybe orchestral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back