Help needed upgrading from EX700LP
Jan 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Persian.prince

New Head-Fier
Good Morning/afternoon everyone.

This is my first post on the forums after being a lurker for a month.
My first foray into hi end IEM's was with the purchase of my Sony EX700's and like everyone I've caught the upgrade bug
biggrin.gif
My current source is the Sony X1060. The headphones I've been looking at are as follows
but to be honest I have no idea if they are an upgrade over the EX700.

1. Audio Technica ATH-CK10
2. Audio Technica ATH-CK100
3. Westone 3
4. Ortofon E-Q7
5. Sleek audio SA6
6. Etymotic ERP4

Now, I'm still pretty new to all of this so I'm not familiar with any of those brands, but from what I have been reading the Audio Technica ATH-CK10 are regarded as the best all round IEM on the market so I was kinda leaning more towards them. I listen to all different genres of music from Tupac to Pink floyd so I really do want t cover all the bases.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 15
I think CK100, W3 and E-Q7 willbe better upgrade if pair with X1060. The CK100 is neautral and has very detailed highs with great mids and deep punchy bass. W3 has better lows, highs and great mids with wide soundstage. E_Q7 shows lots of details with punchy bass, wide soundstage and it's most all rounder IEMs.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the forum, PP.

What is it you do and don't like about the EX700's?

Cheers

Many thanks.

A couple of things really. Sometimes there is a slight harshness when cranked up I don't know what you would call it as I'm still a bit new to this, but you can tell it just doesn't sound right sometimes. Another thing that bugs me is the hiss from them when there's nothing playing...........then there's the case, the cable and the comfort factor.

Most of the time I'm very pleased with the sound as they seem to bring out so much detail from the music especially with Pink floyd.

So really out of the little lot I have chosen from above, what would you say sounded more like the Sony but without its flaws?

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think CK100, W3 and E-Q7 willbe better upgrade if pair with X1060. The CK100 is neautral and has very detailed highs with great mids and deep punchy bass. W3 has better lows, highs and great mids with wide soundstage. E_Q7 shows lots of details with punchy bass, wide soundstage and it's most all rounder IEMs.

What would your impressions be of the CK10's?
The funny thing is, is that I originally opted for the CK100 then heard mixed reviews regarding the bass and colouring of the sound (I was looking for the more neutral sound hence the CK10) then as I started looking into the CK10 I come across the E-Q7.

I can see this is going to be another expensive hobby
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Why don't you have IE8's in your options? I don't know if they resemble each other but IE8's might be a great upgrade. Hiss is low comparing many iems and the cable is so light-soft-strong because it is made up of Kevlar. Also, they are very comfortable if you can find the right tips. Of course these are my ie8 impressions and not a comparison since I don't have ex700.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you have IE8's in your options? I don't know if they resemble each other but IE8's might be a great upgrade. Hiss is low comparing many iems and the cable is so light-soft-strong because it is made up of Kevlar. Also, they are very comfortable if you can find the right tips. Of course these are my ie8 impressions and not a comparison since I don't have ex700.

The only reason I didn't consider them, was because apparently they are quite bass heavy and the bass tends to cloud other areas. (from what I've read)

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the e-Q7 as best all-rounder IEM. I'd consider the Audio Technicas only if the ex700 have too much bass for your taste.

Are the audio Technica really that light in the bass department? there seems to be a few conflicting reports on this. could this be down to fit/seal?

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 15
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're lacking, but coming from the Sonys you'd probably get this impression. Then again, perhaps you want to try a different sound signature. I don't think these conflicting reports are due to fit/seal issues, more likely due to different reference points. Coming from Etys one might even judge the ATHs as quite bassy. That's why I referred to your ex700's as bass reference.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're lacking, but coming from the Sonys you'd probably get this impression. Then again, perhaps you want to try a different sound signature. I don't think these conflicting reports are due to fit/seal issues, more likely due to different reference points. Coming from Etys one might even judge the ATHs as quite bassy. That's why I referred to your ex700's as bass reference.

Cool,

Have you listen to or owned the EX700? if so I see from your sig that you have both the CK100 and the E-Q7, how would you compare the sound from these to the EX700?

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 15
I've read the ex700 reviews and reports about their harsh highs made me pass. But I believe I've a good idea of the bass from 16mm dynamic drivers. The CK100 are balanced armatures and their bass is completely different, much more restrained but a tad better defined than most dynamic drivers. The e-Q7 are like a crossover between BA and dynamics with both excellent bass definition and impact.

Apart from bass both are very good phones, the e-Q7 a bit more mid-centered and the CK100 more about upper mids/highs, but both are reasonably balanced. However, the coloring of the CK100 may or may not bother you, so if you can't audition them the e-Q7 would be a safer bet.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 15
I owned the ex700 for a few months, long enough to realise the sibilance was not going to go away. To be honest, even the RE0's are an improvement over the ex700. Sorry to say, but I was really disappointed by the Sonys, though the build quality was just fantastic. Even the RE0 actually has better bass response than the ex700, though without as much extension.

My vote would be for the CK10's. I hav heard they are similar to the re0's but with more bass extension. If you are ever concerned about bass then the Clear Bass on your X is actually a fantastic setting.

Whatever you get though I reckon you'll like. It's not hard to upgrade from the ex700
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 15
I agree RE0 is a better IEM than EX700, even though both have similar sound signature IMO. Though both somewhat lack bass, RE0 has slightly better bass extension. What I like about RE0 is its slightly higher impedance and lower sensitivity - it makes hissing disappear.
Oh yeah, and I agree EX700's storage case is a nightmare to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back