Help needed: new IEMs needed for small ear canals!
Nov 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bungee8

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I need some new decent IEM's that actually fit me!

I have quite small ear canals. Sony EX71 with small buds are a perfect fit. However, as an upgrade, I recently get some UE Super.Fi 5 Pro - these I can't get a good seal at all and find them very uncomfortable - tried all the tips and none work without falling out every few minutes (yes, I've read the fitting guides and videos)

Can anyone suggest any IEMs that would be okay for me?

My budget is: under £150.

Thanks
normal_smile .gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 12
I think that the problem is not your IEMs, it has to be the buds themselves, so don't throw out your IEMs, I tink you just need multi-flange design ear pieces, they go in further than single-flange ones do, and I myself use double-flange earbuds with all of my Fontopia/N.U.D.E EX IEMs (also Sony), and they also create a nice tight seal and isolate very well (depending on the design of the particular IEM used with).

There are plenty of variations available, including these, the ones I use:

Double Flange Earbuds (New) for Sony In-Ear Headphones - eBay (item 380080069402 end time Dec-09-08 00:40:03 PST)

All you have to do is surf the web, it's not like you're gonna find some at Circuit City or Best Buy.

Try keywords "Double Flange Earbuds" and "Triple Flange Earbuds", and see what you can find.

I hope that I helped out here, good luck,

Ray Jackson
Head-Fi user ID: BIGHMW

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 12
UE's are huge. Huge. Doesn't matter what you put on them, if your ear canals are small, they aren't going to fit.

I found Shure SE530s to be quite comfortable, perhaps other Shure's in your price range would work.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE's are huge. Huge. Doesn't matter what you put on them, if your ear canals are small, they aren't going to fit.

I found Shure SE530s to be quite comfortable, perhaps other Shure's in your price range would work.

You're telling me!

Aren't Shure's just as big though?

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Hmmm, not at all. The SE530s go in real snug. I'm using the medium olive foams that were standard. I could wear them all day. I primarily wear them working out, so I have to push in now and then when walking on the treadmill. If I can get the olives tips off the Shures I'll try to post a comparison photo.

I don't know for sure if the other Shure phones are the same size.

Here is a comparison photo, Shure on top, UE SF3 on bottom.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8323774-lg.jpg

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 12
I have very small ear canals myself. I went for thr klipsch x10 which are tiny and should fit (mine are not here yet). If you hurry and are in US you can get them for half off at Klipsch Audio Technologies | POWER. DETAIL. EMOTION. with the code "half off" you have till midnight eastern I assume since its Indiana.

Other option is to get custom tips. This is what I did with my Denon c551 set to help with seal and fitting my tiny ear canals.

pink

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 12
I second the Image X10. Very comfortable, and geared toward smaller ears. The sound quality is excellent. I would have a friend in the U.S. buy them for you and ship them to the U.K. if you can (before tonight is over for the half off sale).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back