Help needed: bass-heavy music + relaxing music
Jun 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Banned at his own request
Ok. I know that they don't go together...
The thing is, I just want to see how much bass my headphones can crank out. Any dance albums there? I tried a couple of Hedkandi stuff. No luck.
The relaxing music thing. Um...recently I'm going (back) to China and will take multiple plane rides. One will last for more than 15 hours...oh, the sleep...the day that I went to the US (first and wishfully the last time in my life), I took a 10-hour overnight bus ride and slept for 40 minutes...TMD I had open earbuds!
Thanks!

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 19
start downloading/buying/listening to "dark ambient" music, it's a style of ambient... more dark, chill, less polly-anna than the new more commercial new-age stuff ...
have a sample listen via here : www.DarkAmbientRadio.de

Notable artists : Lustmord, Sleep Research Facility, Caul, Troum, Phelios, Raison d'Etre (and many more that I can't recall at moment ...)

Good stuff for late night chill-outs and zoning out/sleeping ...

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 19
Try Pete Belasco, it fits your description... Very deep bass and relaxing kind of music...

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 19
You might wanna try listening to that one aphex twin album, selected ambient works 85-92 I think? It's ambient but the kicks do have a good bit of bass to them. Might be worth checking out.

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 19
+1 on Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92

Way Out West - Don't Look Now

Global Underground: Cape Town
Global Underground: Dubai
Global Underground: Moscow
Global Underground: Oslo
Global Underground: Reykjavik
Global Underground: Toronto

Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise (the first one)
Tiesto - Magik, Vol. 6: Live in Amsterdam

LTJ Bukem - Progression Sessions (Volume 1 and 4)

Dave Ralph - Tranceport, Vol. 2 (cd2 kinda lacks bass but is very relaxing)

for more relaxing music with bass, look into deep house (artists like Sultan & the Greek, Deep Dish - which is composed of Sharam and Dubfire)

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I know that they don't go together...
The thing is, I just want to see how much bass my headphones can crank out. Any dance albums there? I tried a couple of Hedkandi stuff. No luck.
The relaxing music thing. Um...recently I'm going (back) to China and will take multiple plane rides. One will last for more than 15 hours...oh, the sleep...the day that I went to the US (first and wishfully the last time in my life), I took a 10-hour overnight bus ride and slept for 40 minutes...TMD I had open earbuds!
Thanks!

If you want ambient with bass, try SYNC24's Source album on Ultimae Records. It's dark ambient and very bassy.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How 'bout some Thievery Corporation?

QFT.

You might want to check out DJ Shadow too. It's not *that* bass heavy (though still bassy) and IMO his earlier stuff is pretty relaxing.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Indeed!

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Yes! Massive bass on some tracks, especially "Angel".

Although I admit, sometimes I am not in the mood for the heavily-accented British rapping. I do enjoy the female vocals - Liz Fraser in particular.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 19
you said travelling... how about some decent minimal techno? ricardo villalobos - vasco EP) - bought this months ago but still can't stop listening... very relaxing, emotive stuff, especially the first & last track "minimoonstar" & "skinfummel", the former being 31 mins+ with assorted but clever percussion & ethereal ambience, the latter having this great dreamy female french vocal on it that sounds like it's morphing from a gas to a liquid (????)

or something similar
icon10.gif

for bass i like hybrid "morning sci-fi" (as it has peter hook guitars in it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back