Help! Need some headphones!
Apr 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aminados

New Head-Fier
So, I've been lurking around here for quite a while trying to find an appropriate set of headphones for me, but there are so many option for a sound noob like me that I just don't know what to choose, meaby you guys will help out.

I'm looking for a set of comfortable, closed, over the ear headphones with a wide soundstage (if that's even possible), I also want good quality sound, priced from 90$ to 150$ and if its really worth it 220$ max. I prefer closed headphones because they leak less sound and also because there are usually baby's crying and dog's barking next-door. I will be listening to all kinds of music genres, but I want them mainly to get a more immersive experience with pc games like Skyrim with kind of orchestra music or "epic" music.

Been looking at:

Audio Technica ATH-M50, they don't seem to have a wide soundstage and meaby lack a little bass? (I'm not a basshead by the way)

Beyerdynamic DT 770, not the most comfortable for long usage?

and Sennheiser HD  there are to many I don't know whats best.

Hope you guys can help, thanks.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I would suggest the DT770 and the K550, though the K550 will not have bass until you get a good seal around your head. DT770 has quite a powerful bass compared to the K550. Both of them have pretty wide soundstags and isolate well, except the DT770 is more bassy while the K550 is cleaner sounding with a tighter bass, but again the bass is dependent on the seal. (if the seal is leaky then the bass will drop to nothing)
Sennheisers are open backed, but their HD598 has the widest soundstage among the ones listed here and are the most comfortable too.
If you are on a budget you can get the cheaper but similar HD558 and are just as comfortable.
M50 has hardly any soundstage so you can exclude these already.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the fast reply!

Is the HD598 really worth the money over the HD558? can I wake someone up in the same room as me? I have no idea how much sound open headphones leak or how much they cancel noise.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Umm the HD598 has more depth and more all around with a wider soundstage weightier bass, the HD558 has less soundstage, but has a more focused sound and a tighter more punchy with overall less depth (though still quite a lot)
But my say is that if you can afford the higher brother, go for it since it's more refined and clearer all around and has wider soundstage.

About the leaking... it depends on how loud you listen to your music and it hardly blocks any sound from the outside other than a little high of the higher frequencies, and personally i don't have too much problem with the leaking, in a quiet room they are slightly audible, but probably won't wake a sleeping person. But then again when i see people auditioning headphones i see them crank them so loud even closed backs leak a lot.... (like the dt770) so it really depends on how loud out put your music to.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 6
After reading a bit about both DT770 and K550, I might be going for the DT770 as the K550 may be a bit boring to me, I also have a small head so I might need to mod the K550 and they are more expensive. From what I've read the DT770 have more base and should sound more fun, so I'm going towards them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back