Help: My new kitten chew threw my ATH--ES7, both of the wires.
Nov 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spardasieg

100+ Head-Fier
Is there anything I could do, is the cord replaceable? The kitten chew threw both left and right ends about 3 inches down. I am pretty upset since they are my favorite...

http://postimage.org/image/vr84el0fb/

http://postimage.org/image/dx17w2vxt/

(The post picture thing was giving me errors, so I just put some links...Hope thats ok)

Edit: I heard something about Enyo cords while browsing but every link I click on concerning them is dead. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 9
You should be able to recable them. 

Your best bet will be to open up the cans, desolder what's left of the original cable, and start over. An easy place to look would be using a starquad configured microphone cable like Mogami 2893 - easy to break out two of the conductors to each side - use some adhesive shrink tube for the y-split, and put on the jack connector of your choice (Furutech, Neutrik, Switchcraft, etc.)

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 9
You have two options

1. open them up and replace the cable

2. just strip back the wires, resolder and a bit of heatshrink and you're back in business

cheers
FRED

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
2. just strip back the wires, resolder and a bit of heatshrink and you're back in business

It looks to me like it uses those thin, enamel coated wires - which are a pain to work with if you don't have a solder pot... Definitely would be frustrating to work with for someone new to the whole process. He'd also have to move the Y-split further down - which is a pain. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 9
No they are easy, just get a blob of  solder on a hot iron, dip the wire in flux and it will tin up a treat, I know I seem to do dozens :)

cheers
FRED

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 9
If you are having trouble with the enamel coated wires I have a cool trick...
Rest the wire an aspirin when you tin it. When the aspirin is heated it dissolves the enamel and allows the solder to adhere nicely.  Sounds mad but works, I have done it lots of times on sony headphones which tens to be a bit tricky

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 9
jfunk - thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Fred - I've not had luck with your method - maybe my iron isn't hot enough though.

Still, I do like the mogami, cheap and good cables... easy to work with.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
You should be able to recable them. 

Your best bet will be to open up the cans, desolder what's left of the original cable, and start over. An easy place to look would be using a starquad configured microphone cable like Mogami 2893 - easy to break out two of the conductors to each side - use some adhesive shrink tube for the y-split, and put on the jack connector of your choice (Furutech, Neutrik, Switchcraft, etc.)

Sounds hard for someone like me, I never soldered in my life, I might try looking for someone in NYC that will fix them this way though if I cant seem to do so...Thanks for the info though.

Quote:

2. just strip back the wires, resolder and a bit of heatshrink and you're back in business.

I might try this first, thanks a bunch, hope I do well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back