Help! My Denon AH-D2000s Have "Passed Away" ...
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Needles

100+ Head-Fier
... and I'm looking for a suitable replacement. My approximate usage: 60% PC gaming, 30% music, and 10% movies.

Though I use them primary for games, I do not want a "gaming" headset with a built in mic, etc. My sound card has a dedicated headphone amp, so I can push them if need be. I loved everything about the DH-2000s and good bass is a very important consideration. With that in mind, I've been looking at several over-ear units in particular:

Denon AH-D600
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
and a number of Sennheiser offerings under $350 (the top of my budget)

I like the design and build quality of the Denons, especially compared to the 770s. They look solid and I have a giant, fat head so I'm not concerned about them being too big. The Beyer's look "thin" and breakable by comparison, and my headphones have a habit of dropping to hardwood on occasion due to animals and small children. I've read mixed reviews of the D600s, however, especially from those who are moving from D2000s. I like bass, but the claims of "too much bass" (and other niggles) are worrisome so I'm a bit hesitant.

Unfortunately, I live in a remote area and I'm not able to audition anything in person. I have to make my decision based solely on the opinions and expertise of the internets. I'm not confident enough to pull the trigger and I'm hoping someone can set me straight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 7
I hate to tell you this, but the current generation of Denon headphones are not even close to the old Denons. IMHO, Denon sold out in an attempt to chase the Beats crowd. They put form over function. I have a friend that likes the D600 (at least compared to the rest of the new Denons), but I thought they were not good, and certainly not worth what they cost. YMMV.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 7
I hate to tell you this, but the current generation of Denon headphones are not even close to the old Denons. IMHO, Denon sold out in an attempt to chase the Beats crowd. They put form over function. I have a friend that likes the D600 (at least compared to the rest of the new Denons), but I thought they were not good, and certainly not worth what they cost. YMMV.

Not the first time I've seen this sentiment. So barring the Denons, what would be a good set of cans for less than $350 with a decent sound stage and reasonable bass? The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros seem to be somewhat popular, in this regard.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 7
The DT 770 is said to be one of the more open sounding closed headphones, and has boosted bass and treble.  Seems like you're looking in the right place. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 7
I really like the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog in this price range, but it's probably not bassy enough for you and they need an amp with some power.

I have not heard them, but how about the NAD HP50?

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 7
I have no idea if it can be done, but if you've not binned your AH-D2000s yet then maybe ask Lawton Audio if they do repairs? 

That is a really good idea. It would not surprise me if Lawton had a few D2000 laying around that are used for spare parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back