Help! Monster Turbine Copper / Miles Davis for life in the real world?
Jun 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

-zerodb

New Head-Fier
I'll start by saying that I've spent a long time lurking and reading and have spent the better part of my working day reading posted reviews and threads on here, but I'm a little confused by the present direction of the Monster products and am hoping for some assistance!

My current workhorse Shure E4s are finally dying on me and while they did a great job, I'm wanting to go in a more "fun" direction for my next purchase.  I'd like to bring some richer, more tangible bass for hip-hop / electronic music without going all the way down the dark path into Beats territory, and I'm loving everything I read about the sound signature of the Coppers and Miles Davis Tributes.  

I'm a little nervous about the form factor though - I need to be able to wear these running, hiking, as well as travelling and sitting around doing nothing. and I THINK I can convince myself that I'll be OK, as long as I've got the ear clips to help support them, even if I have to pursue alternate tips for perfect fit (I've been through dozens of solutions on my E4's, so I don't mind experimenting).  I'm also very enticed by the warranty Monster is backing these beauties with, so that's a big selling point given that I expect them to endure an active lifestyle.  

That said, I'm looking around and seeing that not everyone selling the Turbine Pros lists the ear clips as an included accessory, which I suspect is because they've been through several iterations, and perhaps the product descriptions or photos haven't been updated.  

I also see that Amazon lists the Coppers as available WITH the control-talk option, which I would really like to have, but Monster doesn't show these as even existing on their website - so I'm curious if this is a discontinued model which may suffer from other weaknesses which have been corrected in the current versions.

Basically, part of me REALLY wants to just buy the Miles Davis Tributes off J&R for $249 but the ControlTalk would probably be enough to steer me into the Coppers for the same price on Amazon if I could convince myself that they're a good option.

I'm spending too much time going back and forth through my options here and I think I need someone to give me a swift kick in the tail to move in the right direction!

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't know how anyone can tell you what will fit or sound good to you in your ears. But if you want bass and articulation, I'd say the [Miles Davis] Tributes are worth serious consideration.

In my case, none of Monster's ear tips provided a proper seal, including their SuperTips, which I purchased separately (the set that came with the Tributes were too small). Ultimately, I found two pair from MEEElectronics that fit my ears well. Unfortunately, my preference is for linearity/accuracy and I found the Tributes to be very bass heavy. But, with your preference for bass, the Tributes might be a perfect fit.

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Yeah, I realize nobody can pick the right pieces for my ears, but I do appreciate your reply.  Maybe it wasn't entirely clear by my long-winded intro, but I was sort of hoping that some of the people who DID love their Coppers or MD's would be able to comment on a) their suitability to "active" wear and b) just what the heck is going on with the current model lineup and whether I will actually have any idea what I find in the box if and when I buy some!

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can tell you what will fit or sound good to you in your ears. But if you want bass and articulation, I'd say the [Miles Davis] Tributes are worth serious consideration.

In my case, none of Monster's ear tips provided a proper seal, including their SuperTips, which I purchased separately (the set that came with the Tributes were too small). Ultimately, I found two pair from MEEElectronics that fit my ears well. Unfortunately, my preference is for linearity/accuracy and I found the Tributes to be very bass heavy. But, with your preference for bass, the Tributes might be a perfect fit.

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 18
The advantage to the Pro line of the turbines (gold/copper/md) is that they have a chin slider.  I purchased a pair of Coppers from amazon and they came with the ear hooks, but to me, the cables running over my ears and sinched up with the chin slider under my chin was enough to stabilize them.

Monster is notorious for outdated pictures on their site and even on their retail packaging...so yes, I know for a fact the Turbine Coppers come with ear hooks.  The original Turbines do not.  I cannot speak to the Gold or MD because I haven't purchased those.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 18
Somehow, after living with Shures for 5 years, it didn't even occur to me that the Turbines could be worn with the cable routed over my ears.  
basshead.gif

Quote:
The advantage to the Pro line of the turbines (gold/copper/md) is that they have a chin slider.  I purchased a pair of Coppers from amazon and they came with the ear hooks, but to me, the cables running over my ears and sinched up with the chin slider under my chin was enough to stabilize them.

Monster is notorious for outdated pictures on their site and even on their retail packaging...so yes, I know for a fact the Turbine Coppers come with ear hooks.  The original Turbines do not.  I cannot speak to the Gold or MD because I haven't purchased those.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 18
I bought the Coppers about a month ago from Amazon and they came with the ear hooks.
I have not used the ear hooks yet as I have not needed them. The coppers stay in my ears just fine even doing yard work.
A few of the tips that came with them work for me but not consistently. I have to play around with them a lot to get that golden seal that sounds good.
I ended up using Comply tips that I put on backwards so that the highs do not suffer. These seem to give a great seal first try every time.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I bought the Coppers about a month ago from Amazon and they came with the ear hooks.
I have not used the ear hooks yet as I have not needed them. The coppers stay in my ears just fine even doing yard work.
A few of the tips that came with them work for me but not consistently. I have to play around with them a lot to get that golden seal that sounds good.
I ended up using Comply tips that I put on backwards so that the highs do not suffer. These seem to give a great seal first try every time.

Just ordered the Coppers with ControlTalk from Amazon - thanks to everyone for helping out.  Hope they work out as well as expected!

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 18
Actually MTPCs with the controltalk is not so nice when worn over the ear for the remote and mic. being at a very weird place that's close to your cheek when you wear them straight down. So, when you loop the cable over your ear, the controltalk is....sort of behind your ear and it's not very comfortable.

Also having the added weight may not be great for cable longevity.

*actual owner of MTPC with controltalk* Not just someone with regular MTPC and don't realize the down sides to having the mic and remote.

Quote:
Just ordered the Coppers with ControlTalk from Amazon - thanks to everyone for helping out.  Hope they work out as well as expected!

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Maybe it wasn't entirely clear by my long-winded intro, but I was sort of hoping that some of the people who DID love their Coppers or MD's would be able to comment on a) their suitability to "active" wear and b) just what the heck is going on with the current model lineup and whether I will actually have any idea what I find in the box if and when I buy some!

I use IEMs mostly while motorcycling, so they have to both fit underneath a helmet and stay put under....well, let's just say very active circumstances. And the only issue I had with the Tributes, in this respect, which affects all IEMs that stick out beyond the plane of your ear canal, was that it took a bit of finagling to get my helmet on without dislodging a 'phone or affecting a seal and they occasionally came loose when the cord got caught on my clothing (due to wind) or my arm while driving. If you route the cord under your shirt, you shouldn't have any problems with them during normal activities.

As for surprises in the box, there were a couple, at least based on what I'd come to expect after reading various reviews:
1) The Tributes are supposed to include two CDs; I only received one (Miles Davis' Kind of Blue).
2) They're supposed to come with three or four pair of Monster's SuperTips; I only received one pair, which didn't fit my ears (nor did any of the other included tips). So, as I described previously, I purchased Monster's SuperTips Sampler Pack, which contained six pairs (3 silicon & 3 foam), but none of those fit quite right either. Fortunately, two pair of soft silicone tips from MEEElectronics' worked and I'm still using those with my old Skullcandy Titans until the custom UEs arrive.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 18

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying them.  Sounds like it's a bit of a lottery to see what comes in the box, but they should be arriving today.

From the other comment above, it looks like I'm going to have to experiment with the ControlTalk thing on the cord to see if that affects their usability for everyday tasks.

Quote:
I use IEMs mostly while motorcycling, so they have to both fit underneath a helmet and stay put under....well, let's just say very active circumstances. And the only issue I had with the Tributes, in this respect, which affects all IEMs that stick out beyond the plane of your ear canal, was that it took a bit of finagling to get my helmet on without dislodging a 'phone or affecting a seal and they occasionally came loose when the cord got caught on my clothing (due to wind) or my arm while driving. If you route the cord under your shirt, you shouldn't have any problems with them during normal activities.

As for surprises in the box, there were a couple, at least based on what I'd come to expect after reading various reviews:
1) The Tributes are supposed to include two CDs; I only received one (Miles Davis' Kind of Blue).
2) They're supposed to come with three or four pair of Monster's SuperTips; I only received one pair, which didn't fit my ears (nor did any of the other included tips). So, as I described previously, I purchased Monster's SuperTips Sampler Pack, which contained six pairs (3 silicon & 3 foam), but none of those fit quite right either. Fortunately, two pair of soft silicone tips from MEEElectronics' worked and I'm still using those with my old Skullcandy Titans until the custom UEs arrive.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:

i think you purchased a pair of fakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back