Help modding a Senn HD650 cable to an XLR
Dec 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shadowboxer

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Is there a digram/explanation that will show me how to remove the 1/4" plug off my HD650's and replace it with a 3 plug XLR?  I am a complete newbie at this.

Also, are there advantages to a 4 plug connector over a 3 plug?  How would I wire a 4 plug?  Not sure if the balanced amp we'll be using is a LD MKVII (4 plug) or a Bottlehead Smack (3 plug)

Thank you!

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 7
are you using the stock senn cord? I'm not sure if that is 4 conductors at the TRS or not. 

I like to do the 4 pin xlr as the primary termination, then make adapter cables to double 3 pin, or TRS. Just seems cleaner than starting from the double xlr. 

The standard pinout for 4 pin xlr is the K1000's pins:
1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hi All,

Is there a digram/explanation that will show me how to remove the 1/4" plug off my HD650's and replace it with a 3 plug XLR?  I am a complete newbie at this.

Also, are there advantages to a 4 plug connector over a 3 plug?  How would I wire a 4 plug?  Not sure if the balanced amp we'll be using is a LD MKVII (4 plug) or a Bottlehead Smack (3 plug)

Thank you!

How to mod? http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm

If my memories is right, Senn 650 is used two coxaxial type.

You may use 4pin socket on Smack, neutrik make them.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

There are absolutely advantages to a 4-pin plug over 2X3pin. The largest is that you never have to worry about which plug is left & which is right. Just plug in and enjoy. The whole mess is also sleek if you need to put an adapter on to pug into an inferiority ended amp. The use of a single connector also saves you the trouble of making a Y-split and deciding how long to make it.

Inferiorly ended is a play on words over single ended amps being called un-balanced or not balanced. They are not what you should want, and inherently inferior... Even the balanced amps where the signal goes through only 1 triode per stage are better than single ended amps. 

For the SMACK, I would make an adapter dongle with 4-pin XLR female on one end, and 2x3pin XLR male on the other. Or figure out how to wire the TRS jack so that it works exactly the same as the XLR's.

Quote:

If my memories is right, Senn 650 is used two coxaxial type.

I think its 2 twisted pairs. Nit-picking, but still. Very easy to switch to a 4-pin XLR. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Great info, and most helpful - thank you everyone.

I'm planning on using the stock cable, cut it about 6" away from the 1/4" plug, and terminate a 4 plug XLR in it's place.  Then I'll add another XLR on the 6" long piece so I have an adapter when needed.

2 Questions:

1) Can I use any male 4 plug Neutrik connector?

2) Does anyone know what color cables are what on the 650 stock cable?  That way I solder the right cables to the right parts of the plug.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I think its 2 twisted pairs. Nit-picking, but still. Very easy to switch to a 4-pin XLR. 

Sorry, my bad.

Quote:
Great info, and most helpful - thank you everyone.

I'm planning on using the stock cable, cut it about 6" away from the 1/4" plug, and terminate a 4 plug XLR in it's place.  Then I'll add another XLR on the 6" long piece so I have an adapter when needed.

2 Questions:

1) Can I use any male 4 plug Neutrik connector?

2) Does anyone know what color cables are what on the 650 stock cable?  That way I solder the right cables to the right parts of the plug.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/299981/whats-inside-senn-hd650-cable-now-everyone-can-know

http://www.head-fi.org/t/514509/need-help-in-choosing-cable-sleeve-for-modding-d2000#post_7097550

Pics@head fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back