help me!
Jun 24, 2005 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Olentz

New Head-Fier
So I now use Sony V150, I was kinda happy using that headphone - until one day there's a small crack in the plastic... one week later, it turns bigger.. and the rest is history
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, I always thought that this headphone is decent enough for me, well... compared to my Dell Inspiron 8600 speaker ^^

So at first I want to buy Sony EX71 for like 30-40 dollars. But when I try to find a good deal in slickdeals, one guy refer to this forum. And as I read all this discussion, I realized that headphone is a serious matter! I have to ask around before I bought my first decent headphone (as v150 is.. crap?
icon10.gif

Oh well, so please give me suggestion on what kind of headphone I should buy. My budget is around 60 dollars, and I listen to wide range of music. Most of my music are new-age (like Secret Garden, Yanni.. ), jpop/jrock/anime stuff (some ppl say that this is *crap* music, but somehow I like them alot.. so please don't hate me?), jazz, easy listening, pop and classic. I rarely listen to hiphop song, and rap is totally no for me. At first I think about getting Grado SR60, but this is an open headphone. Is there really such a big different on sealed and open headphone?

The other thing is that I plan to plug them to my laptop, an Inspiron 8600 with (I think) AC 97 internal soundcard. Do I need to also buy an amp/external sound card? If you have limited budget, what will you get?

I think that's all for now.. thank you for all your suggestion.

PS:sorry for my bad engrish
k1000smile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 9
To give you a quick answer before the guys that know what they are talking about come in:

SR60 are great headphones, many say the best under $100.
Basically with open headphones you can hear everything and everybody can hear you music. Open headphones tend to sound better than closed.

HD280 are popular too and they are closed.
With closed. You can't hear much and neither can anybody else.

Jun 25, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 9
yeah, sony v150 is pretty bad.

i would say start off with the cheap ones to familiarize yourself then go as high as you want. you dont need to get an amp unless the headphone you buy is very demanding of power. but better source is recommend since it is one of the priority in the chain of sound quality. the cheapest and very good sound card is the chaintech av710, goes around $30.

for headphone, with $60, if you could get a grado sr60 i'd said get it. its pretty high quality for the price. later on you can add an amp that would greatly improve its sound, but without it should still sound good.

the sony ex71 is not so good for the money. if you get a portable headphone, those that rate around 16omhs and 32ohms generall will not need an amp.

some good ones you can do a search on here at headfi:
koss portapro
koss ksc35
sennheiser px100 and px200
sharp md33s

Jun 25, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i would say start off with the cheap ones to familiarize yourself then go as high as you want. you dont need to get an amp unless the headphone you buy is very demanding of power.

is it true that grado sr 60 is not power demanding?

Quote:

but better source is recommend since it is one of the priority in the chain of sound quality. the cheapest and very good sound card is the chaintech av710, goes around $30.

But I don't use desktop, I use notebook. My friend use an external soundcard which he bought for like 30 or 40 dollars, I forgot it's name.. It use USB connection to connect with the pc. Another thing that I know about external soundcard is Creative Audigy that use PCMCIA. But it cost more than 100 dollar... Any suggestion?

Quote:

some good ones you can do a search on here at headfi:
koss portapro
koss ksc35
sennheiser px100 and px200
sharp md33s

When I use my headphone, usually I don't want to hear all the noises from outside.. and that's why I love to put the volume up. But I know it's bad for my ear, so I turn the volume down. However, until now - all the headphones that I have usually lose the bass deepness, and the sound becomes really "dry". But if I press the headphone tight enough to my ear, the sound becomes much much better. Is that what canal and close headphones do? What about Grados? SR60 is open.. will I experience the same thing, like dry sound when I put the volume down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back