Help me with a name
Mar 26, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Imagine a man working in as a fashion designer, flamboyant, artistic and more feminine than an average male.

What name do you think would fit the character?

I imagine that names like "Christian" would suit better than names like "Conrad". And I imagine that names originating from some geographical region would work well, while there are others that would work really bad (I might be flamed for stereotyping if I get too specific
tongue.gif
).

Go!
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 41
you're writing a character, I take it?

Character Names - Tips for Writers on Naming Characters | BabyNames.com

^ all sound advice (apologies about the advertisements)

you'll want this:
Popular baby names

you might also consider looking at Freakonomics' demographic break down of top names by demographic, could help as well

I would urge you to avoid stereotypes, who cares if the character is a fashion designer, or a blackwater mercenary, when his mummy named him, she wasn't worrying about his future occupation and how his name would or wouldn't benefit him there

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 41
Thanks for the link. I'll digest them when I get home.

I think there some fashion designer, hair stylist, artist, or singers/actors who gave themselves a cooler sounding name which they use like of a trademark, or even some sort of alternate ego. I was thinking along that line.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link. I'll digest them when I get home.

I think there some fashion designer, hair stylist, artist, or singers/actors who gave themselves a cooler sounding name which they use like of a trademark, or even some sort of alternate ego. I was thinking along that line.

true, but a nickname has to come from somewhere, so you'd need to explain or account for it on some level

and coco would be too blasse, you know, Coco Chanel
wink_face.gif

Giovanni wouldn't be a bad name though

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 41
LOL, that's a funny name
biggrin.gif
. I didn't know that Coco can be a guy name.

I agree that there must be some sort of origin with the name. I'll worry about that later, or did I put the cart before the horse?
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, that's a funny name
biggrin.gif
. I didn't know that Coco can be a guy name.

I agree that there must be some sort of origin with the name. I'll worry about that later, or did I put the cart before the horse?
biggrin.gif

usually the nickname comes "later", or is explored throughout the story

for example Chewy as Chewbacca, pretty simple and explains itself (like Erik's Sergio/Serge), but there can be more complex examples, for example Tom Riddle/Lord Voledemort (which is explained across the primary story arc of ~4 books)

it really depends on what you wanna go, you're the author
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true, but a nickname has to come from somewhere, so you'd need to explain or account for it on some level

and coco would be too blasse, you know, Coco Chanel
wink_face.gif

Giovanni wouldn't be a bad name though

I said Gianni for the same reason......Versace
wink_face.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sergay

LOL, reminds me of the movie "Meet The Parents" which the protagonist's given name is "Gaylord Focker" which he is too ashamed to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back