Help me to choose my new headphones for gaming
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

9Tales

New Head-Fier
My greetings head-fi forum. I'm looking for a new hadphone for mostly gaming and a little bit about music and movies. Currently using hyperx cloud 2 and mic of it got broken. I was going for another gaming headset before i found here and other sources on internet. Now I'm going to get a headphone and seperate mic. I don't have any dac or amp or sound card i don't have any money to spend on them. My budget is max 200 euro and I can only buy headphones from amazon.de with seller amazon. You could also suggest me somethign else. Here are my options:

1- Fidelio x2: Heard so many good things about it. It can be paired with vmoda boom pro and it's a very big plus. But gibson woox debate really drove me away from them. I don't want send my headphone to amazon back hundred times. 178 euro.

2- DT 990 Premium 250 or 32 ohm: This guy has really good reviews as well but everybody says that it needs dac/amp which i don't plan to get. 149 euro (both 250 and 32 ohm versions.

3- HD598 normal or sr: This guy has good reviews too and looks a safe pick. Looks like it doesn't need amd/dac. There is actually no problem with this but also nobody says that it's a special headphone. 158 euro.

I'm not an audiophile guy. So I don't know if i would like bassy or neutral sound more. Also I don't live in Germany which means I can't try them and send them back. It's possible but also a very diffucult process. I just want something good and I'm pretty sure they will sound to me very good because I've never used an audiophile headphone. The last point is that my hyperx still works. So I'm planning to get mic first then headphone when it discounts.

Sorry for the long post. Best regards.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 17
I'd pick the Fidelio X2 because it has the biggest soundstage and has more bass than the 598 which you may find to be more immersive in games! I use the 598 strictly for gaming because I like the relaxed tone, comfort, and price compared to the X2, but if money was no issue I definitely would have considered the Phillips

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 17
I'd pick the Fidelio X2 because it has the biggest soundstage and has more bass than the 598 which you may find to be more immersive in games! I use the 598 strictly for gaming because I like the relaxed tone, comfort, and price compared to the X2, but if money was no issue I definitely would have considered the Phillips
Have you used x2? I heard that it might have build problems. Is it worth the risk ?

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 17
To avoid build problems just buy a used one...either an X1 (which is what I use for gaming) or X2...check the classifieds here,they come up quite often.

The DT990 does need an amp,unless you get 32ohm version.It will have less bass than the X1/X2 and will be brighter(more detail)sound stage will be about the same,maybe a bit wider on DT990.

Ive owned both,and without a good tube amp to warm up the DT990,Id choose the X1/X2

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 17
To avoid build problems just buy a used one...either an X1 (which is what I use for gaming) or X2...check the classifieds here,they come up quite often.

The DT990 does need an amp,unless you get 32ohm version.It will have less bass than the X1/X2 and will be brighter(more detail)sound stage will be about the same,maybe a bit wider on DT990.

Ive owned both,and without a good tube amp to warm up the DT990,Id choose the X1/X2
I appreciate your answer but as i said i can only buy from amazon.de and seller amazon. I guess dt990 32ohm looks not bad according to what you say.

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 17
Its not bad for gaming,in fact its pretty damn good,but too bright IMO for music without a warm tube amp to tame the highs....YMMV.

If your version of Amazon has the same return policies as USA,then you can return whichever HP you choose for whatever reason,including it being defective and/or you dont like it.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 17
Its not bad for gaming,in fact its pretty damn good,but too bright IMO for music without a warm tube amp to tame the highs....YMMV.

If your version of Amazon has the same return policies as USA,then you can return whichever HP you choose for whatever reason,including it being defective and/or you dont like it.
Aboslutely. However problem is not amazon, it's my location. I'm living in Turkey. I could also return items but it takes long times. I mean i could return once or twice but not like however i want. Not efficient. Also since both 32 and 250 ohms are similiar price, should i still go for the 32? Since i'm not a crticial listener, I think i should not have a problem according to what you say.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Have you used x2? I heard that it might have build problems. Is it worth the risk ?
If anybody says the X2 isn't built well then they have issues haha. That thing is built better than some headphones costing upwards of $500

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 17
If anybody says the X2 isn't built well then they have issues haha. That thing is built better than some headphones costing upwards of $500

Early editions of the X2 had pads erroneously glued on and drivers were bad...Those issues seem to be have been addressed as of late from my understanding.
Yeah. I want x2 so bad since i can boompro with them but ahh gibson mixes everything.

I use a ModMic with my X1 and because both the DT990 and X1 are open backed sound leaks out of my headphones,back into the mic,out the HP,back into mic,over and over...the cheap fix is to remove mic from side of HPs and place it on your chest or nearby when youre gaming with others.

Its not an issue for me,but members of my fireteam have complained of an echo coming from my headset.Waiting for my Taction Kanonns(closed back) to ship and hopefully they will usurp my X1+ModMic+MixAmp Pro as my gaming rig.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Early editions of the X2 had pads erroneously glued on and drivers were bad...Those issues seem to be have been addressed as of late from my understanding.

I use a ModMic with my X1 and because both the DT990 and X1 are open backed sound leaks out of my headphones,back into the mic,out the HP,back into mic,over and over...the cheap fix is to remove mic from side of HPs and place it on your chest or nearby when youre gaming with others.

Its not an issue for me,but members of my fireteam have complained of an echo coming from my headset.Waiting for my Taction Kanonns(closed back) to ship and hopefully they will usurp my X1+ModMic+MixAmp Pro as my gaming rig.
From my understanding. New gibson pairs have that glue problem and also more darker sound. You pointing on sound leakage+modmic is also perfect because i was going to ask about it. If i can not put my mic on the headphone then i have to use a desktop mic. Would a blue yeti pick up that leakage as well ?

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 17
From my understanding. New gibson pairs have that glue problem and also more darker sound. You pointing on sound leakage+modmic is also perfect because i was going to ask about it. If i can not put my mic on the headphone then i have to use a desktop mic. Would a blue yeti pick up that leakage as well ?
I use the AT2035 condenser and have it quite close to my face when I'm gaming with my 598, and I've had no issues with it picking up headphone noise. If that doesn't pick it up, the Yeti won't have issues with it

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 17
TBH I think my problem is more of a settings thing.Prior to my X1 I used both Beyer T1 and Sennhesier HD600s for gaming(both open backed HPs)and didnt have the echo issues...
I think I just need to go into my PS4 settings and mess around with it,but im too lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back