help me to choose my main headphone rig.
May 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

psiness

New Head-Fier
hello. i would like to get a recommendation for some headphones. i own a pair of swan MKIII speakers and while i love them, i also love my music loud sometimes and where i'm living doesn't really play fair with that. so while i may sell the speakers, i at least would like a headphone setup that can match or out do the speakers until i am able to get some when i am able to listen to whatever volume i please.

i would prefer a headphone that has bass in it but not a lot. just enough. a punch and some feeling to it but not bloated or crazy. it's there when it needs to be and gone when it's not necessary. i'm a bit fond on treble and midrange. so i suppose i'm looking for a "neutral" headphone. i would also prefer it to have some isloation but not completely. open is not a deal breaker, but completely closed is. i have a DAC (HRT Streamer II), but if there is one i could use as an upgrade i am willing to make the change. 

my budget is $800. i'm looking forward to your suggestions.

i have considered so far the HE-400 and Schliit Valhalla amp with the HRT dac

May 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
hello. i would like to get a recommendation for some headphones. i own a pair of swan MKIII speakers and while i love them, i also love my music loud sometimes and where i'm living doesn't really play fair with that. so while i may sell the speakers, i at least would like a headphone setup that can match or out do the speakers until i am able to get some when i am able to listen to whatever volume i please.

i would prefer a headphone that has bass in it but not a lot. just enough. a punch and some feeling to it but not bloated or crazy. it's there when it needs to be and gone when it's not necessary. i'm a bit fond on treble and midrange. so i suppose i'm looking for a "neutral" headphone. i would also prefer it to have some isloation but not completely. open is not a deal breaker, but completely closed is. i have a DAC (HRT Streamer II), but if there is one i could use as an upgrade i am willing to make the change. 

Heya,

I would consider:

Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600

Denon D5000
Denon D2000
AudioTechnica A900X

I would pair the DT880 & HD600 with the Valhalla, and the rest with something more akin to the Asgard or similar.

Very best,

May 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 13
There is nothing wrong with what you're looking at. The he400 and a nice amp/dac would make most happy. In fact, it's what I'm listening to now. I usually have two pair of hp's. One that complements the other. My other regular hp is the 2k and It would also be a nice choice for you. It's offers a deeper more engaging bass line, where the he400 is more open and wonderfully layered with a great soundstage. Either is good.

But both is nice 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Sounds like the HE-500 would fit the bill perfectly.  If you could swing it and an Asgard you would be set.  A bit over budget but if you could find a demo pair or a used Asgard you could come close to 800.

May 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 13
May 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Sounds like the HE-500 would fit the bill perfectly.  If you could swing it and an Asgard you would be set.  A bit over budget but if you could find a demo pair or a used Asgard you could come close to 800.

what is the difference in sound signature from the he-500 to the 400?
Quote:

This is the way to go. 

it seemed like it could be a good match but i wanted second opinions before just diving into it.

Quote:
I'll throw in the odd-ball bid for the Kenwood KH-K1000. I've yet to find an amp they don't play nice with; haven't tried tubes though.

i'll look into them thank you

May 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The 500 is described as being more neutral where the 400 is usually described as being the more exciting can.  I've only heard the 500 but wje has both and can offer a better comparison.

okay those sound more up my alley then. i will likely turn to those.

also how is this amp/dac combo http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-EF2A-Tube-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8/ref=pd_cp_e_0 a nice benefit is it having two inputs so i can use my computer to listen and i can buy an audio technica turntable with a preamp already built in and enjoy both worlds. is this amp /dac better than my HRT/Asguard combo or am i better off using a turntable for a different set up?

May 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
okay those sound more up my alley then. i will likely turn to those.

also how is this amp/dac combo http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-EF2A-Tube-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8/ref=pd_cp_e_0 a nice benefit is it having two inputs so i can use my computer to listen and i can buy an audio technica turntable with a preamp already built in and enjoy both worlds. is this amp /dac better than my HRT/Asguard combo or am i better off using a turntable for a different set up?

I would take the HRT/Asgard combo over the EF2A.  The Asgard will have over 1 Watt going into the HE-500 and since you already have the Music Streamer II I say the Asgard is a no-brainer.  The Valhalla would be the better choice if you go with the HD650, HD600, or DT880.

You can use the turntable with the Asgard as well but you will need to change the source cables each time, which could be a pain.

May 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I would take the HRT/Asgard combo over the EF2A.  The Asgard will have over 1 Watt going into the HE-500 and since you already have the Music Streamer II I say the Asgard is a no-brainer.  The Valhalla would be the better choice if you go with the HD650, HD600, or DT880.

You can use the turntable with the Asgard as well but you will need to change the source cables each time, which could be a pain.

or i could use a switcher. that would work as well. okay, i guess i'm going to be getting the he-500 and asgard. thank you for all of your recommendations! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back