Help me to choose HD650 or SA5000
Apr 6, 2008 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hakjk

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening k701 for a month now and I like it a lot.
I'm thinking about getting next headphone and I'm interested in these two cans HD650 and SA5000. Can anyone please help me to compare two?
Thnaks

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually read that SA5000 can be painfully sibilant.

It can be, but tubes will smooth that out and good recordings help.

The SA5000 is bright, fast, detailed, and forward up top. The HD-650 is slower and has a darker sound. I like both of them a lot, but the decision will have a lot to do with your amp and the music you listen to. If you could give us some more information, we can give you better advice.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 15
Rock and classic are the only types of music I listen to.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 15
I use my desktop as my source.
I use perreaus shx1 and diyeden svdac05 dac.
Many thanks for all.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 15
I never tried Grado but read many thread saying that Rock=Grado. Is Grado really unbeatable for rock?

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never tried Grado but read many thread saying that Rock=Grado. Is Grado really unbeatable for rock?

Depends on your tastes. Some people can't stand Grados (except for HP1000 brethren).

To the OP: I'd go with HD650 because its tonality sufficiently contrasts K701, and is a good headphone to have in general because of its scaling. You have to note that you have to drive it properly to avoid the veil, so you would have to worry about appropriate amplification.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm using perreaux shx1 for amplification. I read few good(old) reviews, is it any good? or need to upgrade my amp?

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 15
As far as the choice goes, I would pick HD650. Once the death grip is loose (new one has a vise like a grip), it is more comfy than SA5K. As far as sound goes, SA5K didn't suit me at all. It was fine, but I liked my older CD3K much better. On the other hand, HD650 has a massive, yet articulate bass when properly amped. Granted, SA5K is a sexier looking (or modern looking), than HD650, but it wasn't comfortable on my above average size head.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using perreaux shx1 for amplification. I read few good(old) reviews, is it any good? or need to upgrade my amp?

I remember playing with Perreaux SHX1 for a while. It was an interesting solid state amp, that mimics a dark tube amp. It has been a while, but I remember it as one of the most dark sounding solid-state amps. As far as the power goes, Perreaux SHX1 probably won't be able to push HD650 to its fullest potential. SHX1 will make slightly darker sounding HD650 even darker and slightly short of driving its bass to the maximum. Just to be warned that if you upgrade your amp to a more neutral sounding amp, your music will sound bit more aggressive (sort of like suddenly realizing there has been a wet towel wrapped around your head just came off and you hear a music without the induced artificial-organic-sound. I think SHX1 tries to hard to be sound like some really old tube amps. Of course, it is just my humble opinion.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks again for suggestions.. I guess it is a good idea to upgrade the amp. Any amp suggestions ? (not too expansive)

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 15
i personally used the little dot mk v for a little while with my 650. sound was EXCELLENT. you could try out one of the lower models and then see if you want to upgrade later in the summer. they are supposed to be coming out with a balanced amp for 700 bucks or some ridiculously low price.

single ended, i loved the mk v. the gilmore lite is another good budget amp for the 650s.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 15
bump for more suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back