Help me think through my options for a new headphone setup
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vjack

New Head-Fier
I've been fairly happy with the budget speaker system I put together for computer audio with the help of this forum:

Lossless music on iMac --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC (with Pangea P-100 power supply) via optical --> powered Audioengine A2s

Now I'd like to put together a headphone rig. I have some Grado SR60s I can start with and upgrade later, but I'm trying to figure out what else I'll need. A couple of different options occur to me:

• I've got an old Onkyo home theater receiver collecting dust that would certainly be capable of driving headphones. I'd just need to put it on a rack and either get another DAC for it or hook my current one up to the receiver and then use it to power the speakers too.
  • I could start from scratch and get a dedicated headphone amp and DAC. I'm not sure what I would need to be able to connect both my current speaker system and a headphone system simultaneously, but that's what I'd like to be able to do.

If my goal is to start with something I can upgrade piece-by-piece later, what would you suggest?

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I've been fairly happy with the budget speaker system I put together for computer audio with the help of this forum:

Lossless music on iMac --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC (with Pangea P-100 power supply) via optical --> powered Audioengine A2s

Now I'd like to put together a headphone rig. I have some Grado SR60s I can start with and upgrade later, but I'm trying to figure out what else I'll need. A couple of different options occur to me:

• I've got an old Onkyo home theater receiver collecting dust that would certainly be capable of driving headphones. I'd just need to put it on a rack and either get another DAC for it or hook my current one up to the receiver and then use it to power the speakers too.
  • I could start from scratch and get a dedicated headphone amp and DAC. I'm not sure what I would need to be able to connect both my current speaker system and a headphone system simultaneously, but that's what I'd like to be able to do.

If my goal is to start with something I can upgrade piece-by-piece later, what would you suggest?

Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Headphone amp.
Plug right into the USB port on the iMac.

Fiio E11, plugged straight into the headphone jack on the iMac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back