Help me spend my money!
Dec 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrl491

New Head-Fier
I would love a personal recommendation. I desperately need a new pair of headphones. My old pair (Bose Tri-Ports, i know i know
triportsad.gif
) have a busted left channel so I only get sound in one ear.

For christmas I got $200 in gift cards to Amazon. I would rather not chip in some of my own money, but I will if I have to.

I need a pair closed full-sized cans because I live in a dorm with a roommate. I have been looking a lot at the Ultrasone HFI-780 because I could get by without amping it. Any other suggestions?

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, Damien Rice, Radiohead, Tool, Phish, Gov't Mule, Led Zeppelin, as well as various blues (i really really love blues) classical and jazz. A bit of everything, really.

Bass is important to me as well as clarity of the mids and highs. However, I would not consider myself close to an audiophile. I just appreciate good sound.

I would also be using these for a lot of movie/television watching as well as some gaming.

All help is appreciated! Thanks
k701smile.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Depends how much bass you like; too much automatically sacrifices clarity in the mids and highs. That said, a good pair of closed phones should provide a decent balance.

I have similalr music tastes, and my vote goes to the Beyer DT250 (80ohm). A quality, really versatile phone with all genres, as they are quite neutral and detailed. They improve with a little amping, don't need much power.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 5
senn 595 maybe? response is flat but bass isn't lacking, should go well with your music. they should sound great without an amp, but they will benefit from one of course.
$180 on amazon i think.

EDIT:
sorry, i just re-read your post, the 595s are open headphones. for closed headphones you might want to check out the denon d2000s. bass might be a bit too overpowering, but mids and highs are very clear. you will have to chip in some money for them although.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Are you sure you can't go open? Unless you really have them cranked, they're not going to bother someone else. I think a Sennheiser HD-600 might be a good match for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back