help me simplify my setup!
Jul 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
Here are the components that I own:
  1. X-Fi XtremeMusic (unmodded)
  2. Creative Digital I/O
  3. Optical Cable
  4. Decent Yamaha receiver (with s/pdif, etc.)
  5. Meier Headfive amp
  6. RCA cables
  7. Sennheiser HD650 and Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

The way I currently have my audio setup is like in my signature: X-Fi -> Digital I/O -> optical cable -> Yamaha receiver -> headphones. I can plug in the headfive amp to the receiver and put headphones there, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference. I mostly listen to high-quality MP3's; it's just so much more convenient than using CD's and whatnot. I also do some PC gaming.

Here's what I'll say about the receiver - it's good, but I doubt it's true audiophile grade. I regret buying it, but the original thought is that I could hook up a couple of ~100W speakers to it and maybe later get 5.1 surround sound. Plus, it didn't cost too much (got it used). So, I'm basically just using it as a DAC/amp right now, but who's to say that the X-Fi DAC isn't as good or better? I read good things about modded X-fi's.

So, here's what I would want:
  1. Simplest, cheapest possible solution to replace my setup. It's not bad, but I bet I could do better.
  2. Ability to add a couple of good (not necessarily great and definitely not too expensive) speakers... probably bookshelf speakers. These may be powered - I don't care. I don't think I'll be doing surround sound, after all.
  3. High-quality sound without compromising games too much

Am I wrong in thinking that a good way to do it is by (1) getting a modded X-Fi and (2) running a mini-jack to RCA cable to my Headfive? I could then get Klipsch 2.1 powered speakers, or something like that, and switch between them and my headphones.

What about abandoning everything and getting a cheap-ish USB DAC/amp? Is there anything out there with which I can also power some small-ish speakers?

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Just looking at your rig now, I'm wondering whether the Yamaha Receiver actually performs better as a DAC than your X-Fi. What I'd do is to do an extensive comparison using your Headfive/headphones. Price is not a terrific indication of sound quality so use your ears as a judge and not the size of the price tag.

Having done the comparison, it should be fairly easy to decide whether or not to keep the receiver based on sound quality. If money is not too much of an issue, why don't you get a modded X-Fi and test it against the unmodded X-Fi and Yamaha reciever?

I have no idea how the X-Fi (modded or otherwise) performs but USB DAC/Amps do exist. To get you started, here are three:
$137 - Fubar II
$159 - DIYEDEN SVDAC04
$225 - Fubar III

All of them have RCA output so you can connect it with any active/powered speakers. The prices are reasonably affordable so you could pick one up and then compare to what you're currently listening to. It'll certainly be a much more compact and streamlined solution.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 7
milkpowder, that was exactly the kind of reply that I was looking for!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you for your excellent input and suggestions.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Quick follow-up, for now (more might be on the way): If I use a DAC/amp with optical in (e.g., the Zero) and connect it to my X-Fi, would gaming-friendly features like EAX still work normally? If so, I might just opt for something like the Zero or DIYEDEN SVDAC04, and maybe sometimes use them straight from USB and sometimes with the X-Fi. Does that sound pretty reasonable?

Also, I think I'd go with Audioengine A2 speakers if I go with powered ones... or would it be really worth it to spend a bit more on A5's?

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 7
I haven't heard this piece myself, but you could also think about something like the NuForce Icon, which would give you a reportedly good headphone amp and USB DAC, as well as allow you to also power a reasonably efficient pair of speakers.

Here's a review by 6moons. Whether you place much stock in their reviews is up to you, but it's there to read.
rolleyes.gif

$249. Something to think about.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 7
It also has a line out, but it says it's "for subwoofer"... not sure if that means that it's filtered or not, but it's a good option to have!!

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick follow-up, for now (more might be on the way): If I use a DAC/amp with optical in (e.g., the Zero) and connect it to my X-Fi, would gaming-friendly features like EAX still work normally? If so, I might just opt for something like the Zero or DIYEDEN SVDAC04, and maybe sometimes use them straight from USB and sometimes with the X-Fi. Does that sound pretty reasonable?

Also, I think I'd go with Audioengine A2 speakers if I go with powered ones... or would it be really worth it to spend a bit more on A5's?

I am pretty sure it would still work. As long as the game knows that the X-Fi is being used, that feature should still be available. On the other hand, if you just use a DAC/AMP through the USB, it usually does not work from my own experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back