Help me select a new set of cans.
Apr 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

derek800

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought the Sennheiser HD212's for my first set of can's. I actually like the bass that they deliver, but that is not what this thread is about. I'm starting to get hooked, and am thinking about purchasing another pair in the near future. I just wanted some suggestions on what you guys think would be a good fit for me. I listen to mostly different variations of rock - hard rock/alternative/metal/indie. I'm still new to this so I'm not sure if I should go with another closed set or get an open set this time so I am open to suggestions. The thing is that I want something that will sound good powered by an ipod because I don't plan on getting an amplifier anytime soon. I am looking at the $100 - $150 range. I have read a lot of good reviews about the Dennon D1001's but I guess I just want to know if the upgrade from the 212's is significant enough or if I should get something else. So share any ideas you may have.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 5
I've never heard the HD212's... but from I've heard about closed and cheap Sennheiser's.. they aren't all that great.

If you like bass, you aren't going to want to go open.. (at least not unamped and open)
The Denon D1001 should do you well.

You should also look into DT770/80
They are $100 refurbished on ebay.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 5
Have you considered a pair of Grados? If you mostly listen to rock, Grados are the headphones to beat. Your budget will cover several models, but be sure to look at used ones as well as the Alessandro MS-1. If you're unsure, you can always start with the SR-60i. It is an excellent entry point and well loved by owners. If you end up not liking it or wanting to upgrade (much more likely
smily_headphones1.gif
) they'll sell right away in the For Sale Forum. Like within a matter of hours. Go read some threads on the SR-60; you'll see.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Or, if you want to try something else ..... like open sound , something that got a lot of praise for any Rock/related music , in your prize range , have a look at Grado SR60.Not as much bass as D1001 but probably something interesting ! Its only some idea.... you can get some info around about em !

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered a pair of Grados? If you mostly listen to rock, Grados are the headphones to beat. Your budget will cover several models, but be sure to look at used ones as well as the Alessandro MS-1. If you're unsure, you can always start with the SR-60i. It is an excellent entry point and well loved by owners. If you end up not liking it or wanting to upgrade (much more likely
smily_headphones1.gif
) they'll sell right away in the For Sale Forum. Like within a matter of hours. Go read some threads on the SR-60; you'll see.

oooohhh.. i think we wrote the message exactly at the same time ! Didn't want to copy !! Sorry !
redface.gif
redface.gif
Your post wasn't there when i open the thread !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back