Help me save my ears!
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JmanOfIsrael

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am fairly new to the whole hi-fi thing but I believe I have already realized what the most important aspect of being a listener is:

Be nice to your ears so they will last you the rest of your life.

So my question is how can I do this? How can I listen to my headphones enjoyably while avoiding certain actions that may cause hearing damage (permanent, temporary, early/late onset, chronic, any kind!)? Do I need to limit myself to a certain amount of listening per day? I understand that I shouldn't listen to my headphones "too loud" but sometimes the line between "safe" and "dangerous" is a little faded (what can help me to discern exactly what "too loud" is?). I imagine that my love for music will only grow exponentially as I age which is why I want to be smart about the way I listen as a 21 year-old.

This question goes out to all who have any knowledge or experience of what "safe listening" is. I would especially love to hear from the Oldies on this site who have managed to keep their ability to hear since headphones came out (sometime after the stone age I believe...).

Thanks to all who respond!

Jordan Kemme

P.S. Let me know if I should post this in a different forum to get better results.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Head-fier Tyll Hertsens wrote a great article about loud music and the ways that is destroys sound (due to the acoustic refllex), not to mention hearing.  He says that he listens at about 70dB, a range he describes as a 'solid, but not loud, listening level'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back