Help me recover my JPGs!
Jan 9, 2003 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I recenly losted all of pictures in my pictures folder w/o knowing why. I downloaded the recovered softwares like R-undelete,EZ recover..etc. I think those software work but mostly for file under 64KB. Even when it couldn't recover any files,it will report all files that could and could not be recovered.
My problem is i still couldn't find any of those JPG files anywhere in my drive. And they have just disappered recently so it shouldn't be any reasons that those file have already been wriiten over.
Is there any good software for recover JPG or picture files? I can only find the software for recovering picture files from media like compact flash or memeory stick but not the one that works on computer harddrive.
Thanks,
NEO

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 16
You running any anti-virus software?
There are viruses that overwrite pic files.
If you do a search with the wildcard (example: *.jpg) you get back zero results?

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 16
I heard that the latest versions of Windows has a **** .jpg limit. Once that threshhold is reached it automatically deletes all such images from your drive.

That's why it's called "XP", which stands for "eXtract ****"
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

bootman said...

If you are running XP you can also try to run system restore but I would check for any viruses first.

I thought that was only supposed to restore system files, not anything and everything. Anyways, I've had good luck w/ Restorer2000. Also, make sure they aren't in the trash, and haven't had their names changed.

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 16
There was a virus i had a few months back that renamed all my jpegs and hide them. Try this first. In Windows explorer, unhide all files and extension, and see if they appear.

goodluck (i know i paniced the time it happened to me)

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm using Win2K and all of *.jpg are gone. I rrecently formatted and partitioned my harddrive but i did move my pictures folder to save location. After formatted and repartitioned,they were still there. What i tried to do next was moving that folder to replace the same folder name under my document folder. When i tried to do that,suddenly all pics were gone w/o trace.

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 16
Had the same problem with Windows once which is one of the reasons I don't use it anymore.

The program that I used that found my lost partition and files (including images) was called Drive Rescue. It works very well. It may be what you're looking for.

Here's a link. http://home.arcor.de/christian_grau/rescue/

Jan 10, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 16
I tried to unhide all files and downloaded Drive rescue but i still couldn't locate those files. I'm quite sure that something happen to them and might change their name or extension type. They may all be there but i couldn't see or search f or them. Could it be a virus? I didn't notice any unusual things and before those files were gone,there was no massage to confirm if i want to delete them so i'm sure i did't accidentally delete them. I use XNview as a software to view the jpg files but never have any problem. Anyone shares the same problem/experience?
NEO

Jan 11, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 16
hmm...

NEO, what are the properties for the folder that your jpegs were in? right click on the folder -> properties

does it say there are files in there? is there a 'size'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back