Help me please. I don't know anything about quality headphones.
Dec 9, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BorderHopper

New Head-Fier
Ok. Well basically I joined this forum to ask the professionals. What are some good earbuds I can get in the $100 range? I recently made the mistake of buying skullcandy. x( Any response is appreciated.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Got any idea what preferences you like? What did you particularly hated about the skullcandy's?

At $100, you can get a lot of things with a lot of different sound signatures... so, it'll really depend whether your taste is bright, neutral, or warm. An easy recommendation to give is the RE-0, I like to think those little earphones are one of the best introductory audiophilic IEMs. :p

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Ok. Well basically I joined this forum to ask the professionals. What are some good earbuds I can get in the $100 range? I recently made the mistake of buying skullcandy. x( Any response is appreciated.

Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet.
Glad you have been steered away from the skull candies
Before I can give you any somewhat meaningful advice..what type of music do you listen to and do you have any preferences like vocals or bass..etc
The Reos have been known to be great all rounders although people have complained about the bass impact..so if youre a bass head it might not be for you

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Got any idea what preferences you like? What did you particularly hated about the skullcandy's?

At $100, you can get a lot of things with a lot of different sound signatures... so, it'll really depend whether your taste is bright, neutral, or warm. An easy recommendation to give is the RE-0, I like to think those little earphones are one of the best introductory audiophilic IEMs. :p

Lol great minds think alike..and at the same time:D

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 15
I generally like bass heavy music like dubstep but i like the ones with highs and mids. So basically good highs and mids with tons of bass.
About the skullcandy. I had no problem with them cause I'm upgrading from stock ipod headphones, but acording to everyone on this site, there crap so I'll be taking them back to the store next week. I bought the FMJ's and HESH.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Lol great minds think alike..and at the same time:D

Hahaha, indeed! We probably got the guy looking up the mysterious and non-mainstream RE-0 now.
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 15
For some reason, my computer refuses to allow me to edit my post... so, sorry for the double post.

... so, you like to listen to the vocals, and details of your bass-heavy music?

Anyway, judging from your preferences, it sounds like you'll be leaning toward Brainwavz M3. Maybe Monster Turbine if your budget can stretch a little bit further. Since Skullcandy is an improvement for the stock buds, you'll probably be fine with either of them as long as they provide enough sufficent bass for your bass heavy music.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 15
I think they sound very full bodied, mids, especially low-mids, carry a lot of weight while the clarity and highs are going to beat Skullcandy's by at least a mile. Good and surprising for the price.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 15
if you want them right now don't get the m3 unless you upgrade the shipping to EMS..  i would tell you what the m3 sound like but i still haven't gotten them yet >_<  the HJE900s are also good from the reviews but they're discontinued so might also be hard to find.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Since Skullcandy is an improvement for the stock buds, you'll probably be fine with either of them as long as they provide enough sufficent bass for your bass heavy music.

Gah. That's true for every Skullcandy I've heard except for the FMJ 
frown.gif
. I don't mind the other Skullcandy buds but there are many communicable diseases, never mind stock earbuds, that I prefer to the FMJ. 

@OP: There is a coupon floating around for cheap EMS (express) shipping from mp4nation - might be of use if you end up picking the M3. The biggest strength of the M3 is that it has no real flaws as an earphone - it covers the entire spectrum with sufficient authority and doesn't really take a whole of risks with the sound signature. If you are serious about wanting "tons of bass", I would steer you towards something more bass-heavy like the Fischer Audio Eterna. However, if you are happy with the bass quantity of the FMJ the Eterna might be a bit excessive but beware that the M3 is a bit less impactful than the FMJ (although it is much cleaner and tighter)

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Lol thanks guys. I'm afraid I might become an audiophile. I'm afraid cause I'm to young to have a job and afford everything. (Hope my age isn't against form rules.) But anyways, I think I might get the Fischer ones. The only thing stopping me from clicking the buy button is that it's a pre-order atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back