Help me plan a trip...
Sep 7, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I just bought a car and I want to maximize MPG. (Teenager...no money) I know a few people that live about 40 mins away from me, and there's two ways to get there.

1. Highway about halfway, then country/city roads the rest of the way - According to google maps it would take 44 mins and it's 25.8 miles

2. Highway about 95% of the time - Google maps says it would take 42 mins and it's 40.6 miles

For both I'd go the speed limit using cruise control when on the highway

I plan on seeing these people frequently so I think that my savings would add up

My car is a 2002 Grand Prix GT that gets 18 city/28 highway, so, which would use less gas...I'm not really sure thanks

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 5
the best way would be to adopt a particular driving style. Drive smoothly, no sudden or abrupt manoeuvres, try not to brake, and by that I mean plan ahead, look ahead and let the cars own momentum reduce if for example you are approaching a set of lights that are on red. Don't stomp on the accelerator, use block gear changes re from 2nd to 4th or 4th to 2nd, keep the revs as low as possible and between 1k and 2k if you're able to. If you use the highway go a steady 55 or thereabouts just things like that can really help improve fuel efficiency, and btw create less wear and tear on the vehicle too so it saves expensive repair bills... to an extent.

I don't drive like this, but I always "aspire" to.

p.s. dont use air con and keep the windows closed

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best way would be to adopt a particular driving style. Drive smoothly, no sudden or abrupt manoeuvres, try not to brake, and by that I mean plan ahead, look ahead and let the cars own momentum reduce if for example you are approaching a set of lights that are on red. Don't stomp on the accelerator, use block gear changes re from 2nd to 4th or 4th to 2nd, keep the revs as low as possible and between 1k and 2k if you're able to. If you use the highway go a steady 55 or thereabouts just things like that can really help improve fuel efficiency, and btw create less wear and tear on the vehicle too so it saves expensive repair bills... to an extent.

I don't drive like this, but I always "aspire" to.

p.s. dont use air con and keep the windows closed

I usually do drive like that. What I'm asking is which route would be more efficient?

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I know what you are asking, but just going off the figures you provided is simply not enough.

We need to know your driving style, the road conditions i.e. traffic jam likelihood, what the roads are when you are off the highway re major arterial roadways with little chance of being impeded by multiple traffic lights, cross roads, heavy traffic, speed limits etc etc.

not to mention the fact that no matter how you drive and at what speed, you wont optimise fuel efficiency by 50% to cover an almost 100% increase in distance.

just do the run both ways and see which uses less fuel, but I suspect there wont be that much in it dependant upong the type of road and road conditions encountered when off the highway.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd focus more on which route would offer the better driving experience. Highways are usually highways without much interest. If the back roads take you through small towns and on scenic routes, spend the extra dollar or two on gas.

Make a point of stopping in the out-of-the-way places. Eat at the little local restaurants. Grab a beer at the local watering hole. Hit the thrift stores, junk shops and anything else that looks interesting.

When I was a starving student, I always took the roads less traveled. The interesting experiences, people I talked to, things I've eaten and drank, and cool stuff I grabbed on the cheap in junk stores far outweigh an ordinary drive down the highway.

I hardly remember the countless highway trips. But I have lots of great memories and more than a few cool things from when I got off the highway. Ten or twenty years on, you're going to remember the side trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back