Help me pick something cheap for my dad
Nov 22, 2008 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Posts
7,273
Likes
2,661
I'm looking to spend under $50 for headphones for my dad. This was prompted by me catching him listening to a portable CD player with some Philips "digital sound" phones that looked to be roughly $10 in the early 90s.

I don't think he can handle IEM style, so I was thinking some on ear type. Considering maybe Senn PX100, iGrado, JBL Ref 410, something like that. Will be used with a portable CD player or sometimes with a nice vintage McIntosh MAC1700. My dad is getting old, so his ears aren't what they used to be, so no need for anything too amazing. Mostly looking for solid sound and comfort.

So, what would you suggest? Keep in mind he is just a casual listener, and I'd like to actually stick closer to $30-40 if possible. So no SR60s, etc.
 
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 10

toxic888

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Posts
274
Likes
0
The V-Moda Bass Freq are prob. one of your better options, however they are in-ear... however not too "invasive" from what I could figure out.

Definitely will have to get a pair of these myself... They're very high rated.
 
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 10

discoscience

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Posts
68
Likes
0
Why not a pair of Koss Portapros. Very comfortable, can be had for $37 on amazon. Lifetime no questions asked warranty. Plus they are pretty funky looking with a design unchanged since the 80s, so they have that nostalgia factor going for them too.

Oh yeah, they also sound pretty good.
 
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 10

Drag0n

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Posts
3,706
Likes
13
Koss KSC75 on clearance at RadioShack for $5.47usd
 
Nov 23, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 10

ThePandemonium

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Posts
198
Likes
11
I hate to say this.. but even though its out of your budget the bose (shreeks) in-ear headphones would be a good choice. Comfortable.. decent sound.. not an IEM but small.
 
Nov 23, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 10

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Posts
7,273
Likes
2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The V-Moda Bass Freq are prob. one of your better options, however they are in-ear... however not too "invasive" from what I could figure out.

Definitely will have to get a pair of these myself... They're very high rated.



I still have a pair floating around somewhere, I don't really car for them. Plus I don't think he could handle anything sticking into his ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not a pair of Koss Portapros. Very comfortable, can be had for $37 on amazon. Lifetime no questions asked warranty. Plus they are pretty funky looking with a design unchanged since the 80s, so they have that nostalgia factor going for them too.

Oh yeah, they also sound pretty good.



Good option, I forgot about those, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss KSC75 on clearance at RadioShack for $5.47usd


I'll be getting some for myself, but I don't think he would like the ear clips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say this.. but even though its out of your budget the bose (shreeks) in-ear headphones would be a good choice. Comfortable.. decent sound.. not an IEM but small.


No thanks, too pricey (especially for what you get) and I don't think he wants anything in his ears.

So far I'm thinking the best options might be:

Koss Portapro
Senn PX100
Denon 372k
JBL Ref 410

Kind of in that order too.... am I way off?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top