Help me pick out some cables to try
Mar 22, 2004 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to try out a few different interconnect cables for my KGSS / Omega II setup. The cables will go from the Wadia 301 to the KGSS. I would prefer a balanced cable since I have XLR outs and ins.

Right now I am using a Cardas Neutral Reference RCA. I just bought a Neutral Reference XLR from Drewski so it will be interesting to directly compare the sound of the XLR versus RCA connection.

I don't have a lot of experience swapping different cables but when I upgraded my Kimber PBJ with the Cardas I noticed a great increase in focus and resolution.

Help me pick out some different cables to try out in my system so I can compare and find the best one. I would like to buy used and stay in the same price range as the Cardas NR, but I would be willing to go a little higher. I would also like to try out a silver cable. I would like to stick with a shielded design since there are a lot of power cables close by.

In particular, has anyone tried out the Analysis Plus cables?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Mar 22, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 33
Although I havent heard both, I have been lusting for the Cardas NR & the Moon Audio silver dragon for the longest time. I hope you could compare both in the near future.

Mar 22, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 33
I've had good luck with the Analysis plus speaker cables, but haven't tried the interconnects. I would suggest giving the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference a try. They are very musical and detailed without being incredibly bright. If you wait and watch you can get them off Audiogon for not much over what the Heutral Refs are going for.

Mar 22, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 33
Hey gpalmer, have you tried the AZ Matrix Reference? There is a 1M XLR on audiogon for $360.

The same guy has a 1M silver reference II XLR for $650.

Mar 22, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 33
I want to know how good Soundstring cables are so feel free to make a blind purchase and let us know the result.
wink.gif
JK

FWIW, the only balanced cable I have is an Audience Au24 which I like more than the RCA Nordost Red Dawn it replaced, just to mention two cables not usually among the 'usual suspects' and no i've not heard the ubiquitous Cardas NR cable.

Mar 22, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 33
I have heard Analysis plus interconnects, and they didn't do it for me. They didn't sound balanced throughout the spectrum in my system. I have heard the speaker cables in a Mcintosh system and they were pretty good, I would like to try them. I did not hear the IC in the Mcintosh system tho, so it might be my setup why the ICs sounded bad.

Mar 22, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 33
I've tried both extensively, in fact I still have a couple of sets of the Matrix Ref sitting around I need to sell one of these days. I went to the Acoustic Zen cable some time ago and haven'[t looked back. The Matrix ref doesn't have quite the upper end extension or the tightness in the bass that the Silver Reference does. It does have a wonderful midrange and good detail, but I found I wanted the improved upper end of the Silver Reference and with my main system the improvement in the bottom end was realatively minor, but I wanted it. You should be able to get it cheaper though, the guy selling it for 650 is nuts/

Sorry I already have mail in to this guy, so I will be grabbing it if it's still availlable, it's going for 365.
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ntr&1084379577

And this one I just missed a couple days ago for 325
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntr&1084287302

Mar 22, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 33
the one going for $650 is the newer mark 2. $365 is much more in line with what I wanted to spend so maybe I'll give one of those a shot if they come up on the gon.

has anyone had any luck with the audioquest cables in their system?

Mar 22, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 33
Canman, I'd recommend you try out Eric's Nitrogen cables. They're relatively "cheap" ($130/meter) and the sound is most impressive -- incredibly detailed (mates well with Stax) and a very solid, thick-but-not-bloated bass (again, mates well with Stax).

edit: However, I haven't tried many higher-end cables. Ebonyks feels they beat his Cardas Neutral References, but I haven't tried anything in that price range to compare. I wouldn't be surprised, though -- considering Eric is a DIY outfit, you should be getting a lot more performance for the dollar.

- Chris

Mar 22, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 33
Canman,

If you want to try silver or silver/copper I'd recommend the Pure Note Epsilon Reference (used) or even the Ceruleans if you want to spend a bit more and if Pure Note is still running an introductory offer on them.

The Epsilon Reference version 3 is all silver (and I think the version 4 is all silver too).

Demo is hard with new silver cables becaue they take a great deal more time to break in than does copper.

I used Nordost Valhallas in my system (still have a set) but I found that the Pure Note Cerulean was incredibly close in quality and truly a fraction of the price.

The Epsilon References are not far from the Ceruleans and I'd think you could find them in the price range you are looking for.

Check over at Audio Asylum, that is where I was able to get a lot of extensive feedback on the Epsilon References.

The Epsilon References are easier to match into systems than the Valhallas IMHO since you have to be careful with the Valhallas, if there is ANYTHING wrong/that you don't like in your system the Valhallas are as liable as not to spotlight it.

The Pure Notes are very open, fast, more detailed than the Cardas Golden References I have (I haven't heard the Neutral References) but as polished and, surprisingly for a silver cable (and this is a trait they share with the Valhallas and something I can't live without on my stereo) they are capable of carying weight/presence/palpability. I have heard a bunch of lesser silver cables that were fast, open, detailed but plagued by the fact that they were thin sounding by comparison to copper.

Good luck.

Mar 22, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 33
I really like the WireWorld line, and have had excellent results with the Equinox III+ (now in series V) in my system. I tend to prefer the sound of the Equinox to my (more expensive) Polaris III+ cables in my system. The Polaris is a little more detailed, flashy sounding cable, but just doesn't sound "right" in my system. Have also experimented extensively with Nordost Blue Heaven (again, lots of detail, but not quite "right"), and to a lesser extent with various Monsters (M-Series), AQ, Kimber. I like the Equinox III+ over all of them. The Equinox also comes in balanced, though I used them single-ended.

Mar 22, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 33
Michael, Thanks for the suggestion on the Pure Note cables. I was reading about them in another of your posts and they seem to be a good deal for the money, especially on audiogon.

So far I am looking at the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference, Pure Note Epsilon Reference, and perhaps an Audioquest cable.

There are a lot of small cable companies out there, and they all look the same: neutrik connectors, tech-flex jackets, and "magic pixie dust" in the middle. I wish I could try out a pile of them and just pick out the one I like.

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 33
Canman,

I have MUCH experience with the Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference non balanced. They are really nice interconnects, but not your best bet at the price point. Particularly if your interested in silver. If I were you I'd look into the Balanced Grover SR. From what I understand they are the shielded (phono) version terminated in XLR. I'm supprised these haven't caught on more then they have on head-fi (I know of 4 of us) thus far as they are marvelous cables at a dirt cheap price.

I'm also very curious about bogdans offerings and have been told by ben of bogden to expect 2 new cables to be released in 3-4 days. So they may be worth considering, espcially at their introductory offer prices.

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
Michael, Thanks for the suggestion on the Pure Note cables. I was reading about them in another of your posts and they seem to be a good deal for the money, especially on audiogon.

So far I am looking at the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference, Pure Note Epsilon Reference, and perhaps an Audioquest cable.

There are a lot of small cable companies out there, and they all look the same: neutrik connectors, tech-flex jackets, and "magic pixie dust" in the middle. I wish I could try out a pile of them and just pick out the one I like.

How 'bout adding the Headphile XRS to that list?

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
How 'bout adding the Headphile XRS to that list?

I'm not sure how I feel about the no plug design on the XRS. Besides, I want to run a balanced connection.

Gopher, how do you order the Grover cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back