Help me pick out my next headphones...
Mar 28, 2009 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
So a little bit of back story...

About 3 months ago I joined here and ended up buying a Fubar II DAC, Little Dot I+, and AKG K701s.

Since this was my first foray into audio, I decided to trade my K701 for some Grado 325is just to see what they sounded like. I got them today and I'm actually really satisfied with them. They're very bright (much different than the clinical sound of the K701) but I want a nice headphone that's going to keep my satisfied for a while to come (I'm a freshmen in college).

I'd be willing to sell all my gear and start from scratch, but I really don't want to. I'd be willing to get new headphones and an amp, though.

I listen to rock mostly (John Mayer, Jack Johnson, etc.) but also dabble in classical.

I'd say my budget is around $1k for the two. Any suggestions?

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi! you have so many choises for headphones and amps. i don't know how is your amp, the only sound i heard in my short audiophile period is the headroom one,and it's very good to say the least. you can see my sig for my rig, this is the only one i can recommend to you, but others will give their opinions parobably.

if we talking about headphones, you always can get yourself a senns(hd650'hd600) or even the denons if you like bass and good dynamics. i can say about the denons that they are amazing sounding IMO. but only if you like bass though....
if you are tend more to the bright side, ithe beyers dt880 is considered to be very accurate and also bass sufficient. you probably dont want another grado because you already have one, but still, you can always get thet gs1000. if i recall right, they are just in your price!

good luck mate!

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 4
i ll be getting a cantate next week as well as an hd650. ive read lots of great review about the combo. it is rumored that the cantante was developed with hd650. u can probally still purchase a nice hp to go along with the two and it will still be around your budget.
cantate goes for 470
hd650-320
leaving you 210 to purchase probaly a grado 325/ms2
just my 2 cents

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 4
If you want to know what K701s would sound like if they were less analytical and had a lot of bass, get Denon D5000s. If you are enjoying the Grado sound, I'd probably get better Grados.

Also, it looks like the Fubar II allows OPAMP rolling, which means, you can change the amplification chip to get better sound, for very little to no outlay, as you can order free samples of most from the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back