Help me pick an IEM based on this criteria, anyone?
Jul 24, 2007 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
I was set on the Ety ER4P (those of you who saw my other topic know), and I may own them someday, but a lot of the fun of the IEMs for me would be using them at work. I work as a janitor part-time when I'm not in my classes, which entails a lot of non-strenuous movement...obviously bad for an IEM that is very microphonic. Also, if posible it would be amazing to have an IEM where I could lay with one ear pressing against my pillow.

Basically, I need a very low to non-microphonic IEM that sounds good with many different types of music, can fit lots of different possible tips (my ear canals are both different sizes so I need the most options possible to ensure a good fit!). Also it's important that it responds well to amplification because I'm eventually going to be using it with a 5th generation iMod.

Most interesting to me so far has been the Ultimate Ears line...they look very comfortable. I know I probably couldn't lay in bed wearing them but they look great in all other respects. If ANYTHING meets that buttload of criteria, please let me know! Thanks~

edit: Price is for the most part not an issue. Anything around 500 bucks brand new is fine to suggest, or if the new triple.fi 10 meets my requirements (I'll hunt around for a cheaper deal than that but keep the suggestions coming with that as the general max price)

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was set on the Ety ER4P (those of you who saw my other topic know), and I may own them someday, but a lot of the fun of the IEMs for me would be using them at work. I work as a janitor part-time when I'm not in my classes,

edit: Price is for the most part not an issue. Anything around 500 bucks brand new is fine to suggest

I don't know enough about the subject to make a rational suggestion.

But I have to wonder, where do they pay part time janitors enough to afford a $500 set of earphones?

I might even consider becoming a janitor again for that kind of pay.
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 14
Hahaha. The church I work for pays $8.50 an hour, which has been a godsend for me, because I currently have absolutely zero expenses. That will change in a few months so I am trying to get tons of audio gear built up before my paychecks disintegrate from car payments etc. The best part of my job is not having to take my earphones out all day
biggrin.gif

edit: I got this job, and then about a month later discovered Head-Fi. Look at the setup in my sig...Head-Fi has absolutely destroyed my wallet, rofl.

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 14
It's been so long that I've totally forgotten what it's like not to have expenses.

I don't know enough to know how much your equipment cost, but I suspect it must be quite a bit.

If you are running Foobar, you really ought to check out the Dolby 5.1 headphone wrapper for it. I was quite impressed with the sound, particularly on jazz and classical although it does quite a bit for a lot of rock tunes as well.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=39404

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...one_story.html

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 14
If you're looking to save your wallet a bit, there a new cheap IEM being talked about a bit the EU-4. I think its around $65, with very little microphonics (its got a very nice braided cord), and supposedly sounds half decent :p.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 14
The Westone UM1 (around $100) and UM2 (around $300 -- new, anyway) lie flat against the ear and have braided cords (so less microphonics). Highly praised for their comfort and their ability to be worn hours at a time with as much comfort as possible (and non-fatiguing sound).

I haven't worn them, but don't let people try to talk you out of them based only on the "but you have to keep replacing the Comply foamies" argument. I love the Complys on my Etymotics ER6i's. For isolation, fit and comfort, the Complys are worth it to me. You should at least investigate the Westones for your purposes.

Oh, and they look very low-profile, too. Very subtle and un-obvious, if that makes any difference in your situation.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 14
x2 for westones. No microphonics, you can't feel them in your ear, low profile so easy and painless to sleep with. Well balanced for all music and do very well with amps.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Agreed on all counts. Until the Westone 3s come out I don't think you'll find a better IEM to meet your requirements [suggested amp is RSA Hornet - just that much better than RSA Tomahawk or Xin's pre-Reference offerings - I haven't tried a Reference yet
frown.gif
]
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 for westones. No microphonics, you can't feel them in your ear, low profile so easy and painless to sleep with. Well balanced for all music and do very well with amps.

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm thinking about being patient for the Westone 3... I'm almost certain they will blow me away...everything I've read just seems to perfectly fit my needs, in quite a luxurious fashion. Anyone know if it's going to be necessary to preorder them to get a pair, or is there supposed to be enough to go around to where I can wait for their release?

Also, those livewires look very interesting as well. If I can find an audiologist to make me some of those I may just have to get those as well
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Also, those livewires look very interesting as well. If I can find an audiologist to make me some of those I may just have to get those as well

You should give'em a call! They'll even find an audiologist for you! +1 for the Livewires idea (Mine are fantastic!)

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Bump because I have a new question...

Have the majority of people realized that you can have custom tips ready for the Westone 3? I've seen lots of hype around them but rarely do I see anyone mention this. I e-mailed them to ask if their custom UM56 earmolds would fit the Westone 3 and they said confirmed! I dunno, it just sounds like it would be incredible to have the world's first 3-way driver IEM with a custom fit
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back