Help me pick a watch
Jun 21, 2010 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I got my Bachelor's degree last week, and my aunt wants to get me a watch as part of a graduation gift. She wants to keep the price to ~$500 (preferably less). I am have an allergy to metals containing nickel, so it looks like a titanium watch would be best. Also, I heard that sapphire is more durable than mineral in terms of scratch resistance, which is also important to me. Additionally, I'd like to have a date display and a rotating bezel timer. After some searching, I can't really find anything that looks like it'd fit my preferences. To all of you watch fans, any suggestions for me?

beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 16
Try watch-fi, they're the experts :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/70190/watches-another-passion-of-ours-it-seems-post-your-pics/4680

I'm pretty sure lots of brands have titanium watches with rotating timers. (Mine's a Lotus)

U.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 16
You havent described some important aspects.

1) Size - Usually determined by wrist size, although not always, some people like big watches at 52mm like the sub aqua mentioned above, some dont. Some people like Tissot, low end Tag 39-42mm range watches, some dont, this is crucial to short list watches. Get an idea on your wrist size and what size watch you think will suit your wrist best

2)Style - There are numerous basic design styles from classic diver style watches to modern day fashion watches with LED's. Try and decide what style suits your personality and taste, do you want an elegant dress watch, or a sporty diver watch, or a complicated time machine. Do you like a simple looking dial or one with lots of complications and tech wizardry.

3) Movement - Most people who starts looking at watches seriously and starts collecting stuff move towards automatic movements. While they are in most cases not quite accurate as quartz, they offer a special charm and a sense of mechanical "wow" factor which can make the purchase worthwhile. There is tons to read up on movements, and for your price range there are some decent movements you can get hold of right upto Valjoux 7750 which would be a tad above your price range on a really good sale.

4) Brand - This is an area which has two camps, there are those who like watches for design, value, technical merits, and those who are biased towards higher end brands (although they will be keen on those aspects as well). How big are you on branding? Do you want ppl to recongnize the brand you are wearing? or would you rather get more value for money on a great looking watch from a relatively lesser known brand. Totally personal preference this one, I fall into the later camp.

5) Other factors - Strap - Metal Stainless steel bracelet? Single deployment clasp? Dual deployment clasp? Leather? Rubber? Alligator? Endless options here, see if you have a preference here.

I can give you bajillion recommendations for sub 500$ watches, and so can quite a few members here, if you have answers to some of the questions stated above it will help.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Try watch-fi, they're the experts :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/70190/watches-another-passion-of-ours-it-seems-post-your-pics/4680

I'm pretty sure lots of brands have titanium watches with rotating timers. (Mine's a Lotus)

U.

I posted in that thread but I didn't get any response (maybe because I wasn't specific enough). I thought I'd start a new thread though, so it wouldn't clutter up that nice thread with all the pics, with my questions and such. :)

Quote:
How about Invicta 4695 Subaqua Noma III Chronograph Watch ? It costs $300 bucks!It looks cool!

That's a stainless steel watch, which would probably cause an allergic reaction on my wrist. It looks cool though, but I think a little too sporty for what I'd like.

Quote:
You havent described some important aspects.

1) Size - Usually determined by wrist size, although not always, some people like big watches at 52mm like the sub aqua mentioned above, some dont. Some people like Tissot, low end Tag 39-42mm range watches, some dont, this is crucial to short list watches. Get an idea on your wrist size and what size watch you think will suit your wrist best

I have small wrists, ~ 6.75-7" in circumference. I'd probably be looking for a mid-size watch, as a smaller watch would look too feminine (in my opinion), and a larger one would be over the top.

2)Style - There are numerous basic design styles from classic diver style watches to modern day fashion watches with LED's. Try and decide what style suits your personality and taste, do you want an elegant dress watch, or a sporty diver watch, or a complicated time machine. Do you like a simple looking dial or one with lots of complications and tech wizardry.

I think I'd be looking for something more on the classic side, although I do enjoy fancy functions and such, I think it sometimes makes the watch too busy looking.

3) Movement - Most people who starts looking at watches seriously and starts collecting stuff move towards automatic movements. While they are in most cases not quite accurate as quartz, they offer a special charm and a sense of mechanical "wow" factor which can make the purchase worthwhile. There is tons to read up on movements, and for your price range there are some decent movements you can get hold of right upto Valjoux 7750 which would be a tad above your price range on a really good sale.

I don't expect to become a watch collector (I have too many expensive hobbies as it is, and not much money!). I would prefer a watch that is lower maintenance and more durable, which, if I am not mistaken, would mean that a quartz watch would be better?

4) Brand - This is an area which has two camps, there are those who like watches for design, value, technical merits, and those who are biased towards higher end brands (although they will be keen on those aspects as well). How big are you on branding? Do you want ppl to recongnize the brand you are wearing? or would you rather get more value for money on a great looking watch from a relatively lesser known brand. Totally personal preference this one, I fall into the later camp.

As I don't have such a large budget for this, I'd prefer a watch that is technically "better" (e.g., more durable, better features, etc.) over a watch from a prestigious brand that is not as nicely made as some of the more "standard" brands.

5) Other factors - Strap - Metal Stainless steel bracelet? Single deployment clasp? Dual deployment clasp? Leather? Rubber? Alligator? Endless options here, see if you have a preference here.

I'd prefer a metal band, which means I'd need to go with titanium due to my allergy. No real preference on single/double deployment, since I do not know the benefits/drawbacks of them.

I can give you bajillion recommendations for sub 500$ watches, and so can quite a few members here, if you have answers to some of the questions stated above it will help.

Thanks for those questions. It's been helpful in allowing me to further narrow the search, and I hope it will also help you (and others) think of some good suggestions!

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Here are some titanium watches that I know about that quickly come to mind

The titanium Citizen I have seen (and have) are complex, have lots of markings and several complications. Like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-AV0021-52H-Eco-Drive-Titanium-Calibre/dp/B000EQRYMM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1277162816&sr=1-18)

The Tissot on the other hand are slightly smaller, have a cleaner dial in general, there are real simple ones like this (http://www.jomashop.com/tissot-pr50-mens-watch-t34-7-481-61.html?ref=frgle) which I personally think is a bit too small

or a slightly sportier watch with multi-function digital display like this one
(http://www.watchsavings.com/Tissot-TTouch-Titanium-AnalogDigital-Multifunction-Mens/M/B000HDCEMM.htm)

or a chrono like this one
(http://www.buy.com/prod/tissot-prc100-men-s-titanium-chronograph-model-t0084174406100/q/listingid/47209391/loc/64934/210500280.html)

Seiko has a titanium with black/gold combo, if you like that combo you can try this one
http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524880403865&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=73226FB2-76B7-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

although thats not exactly the best place to buy it from just an idea for a watch

One of my favourite Titanium watches is this one, the Renato T-Rex
http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid=J174610&rap=2820&WT.mc_id=ciGB&chid=ciGB&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=J174610

It goes on sale from time to time, and the you can get a really good deal.

Another brand with good reputation and decent small-mid size watches is Swiss Army. You can try something like this one
http://www.watchco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=241171&Click=8862&gdftrk=gdfV21188_a_7c414_a_7c1160_a_7c241171

I'll just throw two other brands for you to search for, but I think they might be a tad above the price range, Oris and Luminox make a few titanium pieces that are quite good

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 16
Pay a visit to www.westcoasttime.com. They have a good assortment of military style watches that might be what you're looking for. I'd say most of them are surgical stainless, so, hopefully, you won't have a problem with them. Also, most are powered by an ETA movement, which are terrific. Some snobs think they're not exclusive enough, but in-house movements can be very, very pricey to have serviced or repaired. Something with an ETA 2824 (or other common movement) will have parts available forever. Right now, I'm wearing a Sinn 656 with a 2824 and could not be happier with it.

Though they're not quite what you're looking for, take a look at the offerings from Stowa. They make wonderful watches and prices are good with the depressed Euro right now.

Also, have you considered a vintage gold or gold-filled watch? For $500, I'd look hard at a vintage Omega Constellation. The Constellation has always been a classy watch and in the 1960s, it had a reputation much like Rolex has today. There are many people who service them and active collectors, so you'll always be able to get it fixed or probably sell it for more than you paid. Also, most watch geeks will respect it.

Another great brand with reasonablly priced vintage watches is Zenith. When I'm not wearing the 656, I usually wear a hand-wound gold Zenith from the late 40s or early 50s. Great watch and it's dead reliable, too.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 16
Take a look at http://www.fortis-watches.com/
Their Titanium models are using either ETA or Valjoux morvements as Uncle Erik recommends. They only use Saphire crystal - and they also use a special antireflective coating on the glass I have never seen on other watches. Sometimes it seems like there is no glass at all. 

I am not sure you can find them new for less than 500 USD - but a used model should be posible to find for less than 500 USD.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 16
Can you get a Fortis diver for 500 bucks? 

A special watch to mark a special event should have a mechanical movement, but to each their own. I think you can't go wrong with a Seiko or Citizen. 

If you could stretch a little, a Stowa Antea, Marine Auto, or maybe a Seatime or Flieger would be something really special. Not all stainless steel would automatically trigger the allergy. You'd just need to email them to ask how much nickel is in the case, and obviously not get the bracelet, but a rubber and/or leather strap instead.

Also, could a Sinn 556 fit the bill? Sinn, like Stowa, would be able to answer you on the nickel content of their cases.

But please whatever you do, not an Invicta!

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

But please whatever you do, not an Invicta!

I have to agree with Plainsong. If your looking for a watch that someone is getting as a gift, with the price range you are looking at, don't look at the Invicta watches. Most of them can be had for well under MSRP and they really aren't worth MSRP in the first place. I have an Invicta Russian Diver 1959 that I got for about $30 that I only have really because another guy needed the money. The watch lists for MSRP of around $450-$500, but can easily be found just about everywhere for $50.

For the price range you're looking at, I'd take any of the recommendations that have already been made prior in this thread.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Oh wouldn't a Seiko Sumo tick all the buttons, but the frakking case. I mean hey, it could maybe work, but oh for a ti Sumo for situations like this! A hacking Seiko auto diver? Yes please. If we're going to mention West Coast Time, may as well mention Timefactors. I've only got the prs-10, but based on that, I'd not hesitate to get one of Eddie's other offerings. It's the same problem of nickel content. I forget where Eddie sources his cases, but he's another one that could answer the question of nickel content. Does the OP know if he/she has problems with PVD coating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back