Help me pick a md player
Dec 1, 2001 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
Well, I think it's about time that I got into the MD scene, but to be honest I don't know a whole lot about what's out there/where to buy/etc, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. My requirements are:

Needs to be portable
Needs to be a player/recorder
Line out for home use - I have a JMT amp with RCA inputs.
Needs a good headphone jack (I'll generally use v6 or sr60 without an amp.)
Hopefully around $100 (can be a little more)

Any ideas on model numbers and where to buy?

Dec 1, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 21
You won't find anything new at that price point with all those features, other than some older models (like the MZ-R37) occasionally on sale.

For your needs and budget, I'd look for a used Sony MZ-R50, or a used Sharp MD-MS722 or 821.

Dec 1, 2001 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 21
i have a mzr-37...in canada it was waaayyyyy overpriced....but it was the cheapest at the time.

It does have a line out, and battery life is *decent* compared to cheap pcdp's, but doesn't compare to spazzy high end MD's. For headphones though, there isn't much sound changing other than a 2 step mega bass.

For being the cheapest economy MD model ever released by sony, its actually extremely durable. It will pick up a scratch here and there, but i've dropped this things dozens of times from chest level onto a hard carpeted floor, and it's still fine.

The basic set mz-r37 comes with headphones and an optical cord. Some accessories that i *strongly* recommend are rechargable batteries (walmart: energizer NiMH, cheap) and an ac adaptor (walmart: multi-volt models, cheap, check amperage). I also picked up a case logic pouch thingy and a $100CAN mzr-55 remote (waaaayyyy overpriced).

Other models that might look good in your situation are the sharp mt90, sharp sr60, sony mz-r55, or sony mz-r70. These are all slightly over your budget, but are still nice models (especially the mt90, big bang for your buck). I'm not sure if any of these have line outs. I think the sony's do, and the sharps don't but not sure.

for anyone: info on MD equipment..... www.minidisc.org

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 21
Does it help if i say I really like my sharp MD-MT15 minidisk player?? It has a nice optical input and can record with a mic. And it has all the features you mentioned except line out. Line out isnt absolutely necessary believe it or not. It sounds great everywhere, I likey. Oh yeah, plus it has a stronger headphone amp than most and will drive efficient headphones quite nicely.

Dec 2, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for the advice so far. The Sharp mt90 was what I expected to be recommended based on what I've learned so far, and it's probably the front runner at this time. Howevr, I have a few more questions:

1. Can the mt90 be connected to a computer?

2. Is the mt90 better than the sr60 (which I can find cheaper) or just a newer model?

3. I can find the mzr37 for around 105, is the cosensus opinion that it's not a good MD?

4. I can also find the sony r70 for around 130, any opinions?

5. What exactly is ATRAC, and do the older sony's have it?

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dcg
5. What exactly is ATRAC, and do the older sony's have it?

ATRAC is the form of compression used for the Minidisc format. Theres different levels of it and i think the newest is ATRAC 4.5. From reading up on the topic in the past ATRAC 3.5 and above is considered as good as cd. Check this site out to read more up on MD: www.t-station.net

George

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

1. Can the mt90 be connected to a computer?

In what way (just trying to make sure I'm answering the right question
wink.gif
)

Quote:

2. Is the mt90 better than the sr60 (which I can find cheaper) or just a newer model?

Not necessarily. The MT90 has no line-out whatsoever. The SR60 has an emulated lineout. While neither is great for use with an external amp, the SR60 would be much better.

Quote:

3. I can find the mzr37 for around 105, is the cosensus opinion that it's not a good MD?

Not at all. The R37 has a very good reputation for being a solid, low-cost recorder. It gets 10-13 hours of battery life, and has a DEDICATED line-out jack, so if you want to use it with a headphone amp, it's a good choice. It's significantly bigger than the newer models, but it's built a bit better and has a line-out.

What it comes down to is how important a line-out jack is. If you want one for use with a headphone amp, the 37 is a good deal. If it's not that important, the Sharp models are better.

Quote:

4. I can also find the sony r70 for around 130, any opinions?

It's a pretty good unit. It's the low-cost version of the R90. From what I've heard, it's actually much more reliable than the R90, though. One nice feature it has is dual headphone jacks. However, like most of the newer units, it doesn't have a dedicated line-out; it has line-out emulation.

Dec 2, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 21
if you can find the sr60 significantly cheaper than the mt90 (which it should be) than by all means get it, unless you care about size or battery life.

I don't know why other ppl have bad comments for the 37, but i have it and love it. I will state it again, its rugged, durable, economical, line out, better battery life than the sr60. Also, i have heard that most ppl find the sharps to have boomier bass than the sony's. The sony sound seems to be more even.

Dec 3, 2001 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 21
MacDEF,

I'm wondering if I can record to a minidisc from my computer. My soundcard is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (I assume I can choose the digital out and connect an 1/8"-1/8" cable). Is this correct, and even if so, am I better off with something that has a usb connection?

Dec 3, 2001 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 21
Well, minidisc use TOSlink. That's optical. Santa cruz uses coax. My fortissimo II used toslink, so I can connect digitally to my MD.

The option you'd have is to use a mini to mini cable, and record using analog.

Dec 3, 2001 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Not necessarily. The MT90 has no line-out whatsoever. The SR60 has an emulated lineout. While neither is great for use with an external amp, the SR60 would be much better

Actually, unless I'm misreading the manual, the MT90 has an emulated line out too (set volume to max). Still worse than a dedicated line out, though.

Dec 3, 2001 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 21
Can anyone confirm what chriscu1 said?

As it stands now, I am leaning toward the mt90. From what I have seen, the SR 60 is the same except for lower battery life, 10 seconds vs. 40 second anti-skip, and it (may) have a better emlated line out. It's also $15 cheaper, but that's no big deal. Anything else I should be aware of?

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 21
Here is what the manual says under "Output level":

headphones : 10mw + 10 mw @ 16ohms
Line : 250mV (-12db) @ 10 k ohms

It also says under "Playing through another system":
"It is recommended that the volume level of the Minidisc unit be set to maximum when listening through a stereo system."

The fact that it says "recommended" and says nothing about a line out mode being toggled makes things a little vague. Does anyone have the SR60 manual and can compare what it says about its "line out"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back