Help me pick a killer headphone amp- $3500 budget
Dec 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I am looking for a s/s killer amp, and my budget is $3,500. Looking for something eith power and can play loud. Great dynamics, bass, detailed, but not overly bright. Looking to use these with my Hifiman HE-1000's. May get other phones in the future, but these are my current headphones.

Thanks,
Ken

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi,
I am looking for a s/s killer amp, and my budget is $3,500. Looking for something eith power and can play loud. Great dynamics, bass, detailed, but not overly bright. Looking to use these with my Hifiman HE-1000's. May get other phones in the future, but these are my current headphones.

Thanks,
Ken

Save a few extra $$$ and get a Cavalli Liquid Gold.

http://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=product_details&pId=9

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 19
  Save a few extra $$$ and get a Cavalli Liquid Gold.

http://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=product_details&pId=9

Thanks for the recommendation. I will read up on it. However how would I save a few dollars?: I cut and pasted from your link. A few bucks either way is workable.

Btw, what is your opinion of Sim Audio Neo 430HA?

Thanks,
Ken

"Price: $3,950.00
Shipping 2 weeks or less:"

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 19

Thanks for the recommendation. I will read up on it. However how would I save a few dollars?: I cut and pasted from your link. A few bucks either way is workable.

Btw, what is your opinion of Sim Audio Neo 430HA?

Thanks,
Ken

"Price: $3,950.00
Shipping 2 weeks or less:"

You would need to save a "few" more $$$.

Never heard of Sim.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 19
Gotcha.

I looked at a review. Would you say it is warm or more on the bright side. Hard to read these reviews. Must be the advertising as every amp is good. If you know what I mean.
Ken

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 19
Gotcha.

I looked at a review. Would you say it is warm or more on the bright side. Hard to read these reviews. Must be the advertising as every amp is good. If you know what I mean.
Ken

I don't believe in warm or bright. At least as far as amps go. A properly designed amp is neutral.

I own a Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I would describe it as transparent.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 19
If you would like a less expensive option consider the Schiit Mjolnir 2. With it you can have SS or tubes, or both. And, you would have money left over to buy a Yggy DAC.

http://schiit.com/products/mjolnir-2

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 19
Both Auralic Taurus and headamp GSX both considered reference amps and definitely worth looking at. I have GSX and love it. And recently got fabulous deal on Taurus and it's great too.

If you want to mess around with tube amps, you might get the "magic" that seems only the right tube amp can do. But they are definitely more hassle and that "right" tube might cost you, in any case, if looking at tube amps, consider the following brands: Eddie current, woo audio

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #13 of 19
Hi,

Thanks,
Ken

You def. want the allnic hpa-5000. $5k but considering you already want to spend $3500 you might as well go for the best imo.

I think the Teton/hd800 will offer up a sound that is just as good in it's own way, save you some dough and get you better build quality on both ends (headphone and amp).  

For the same monies a pricejapan sr-009 and mjolnir kgsshv Carbon will offer up a sound the allnic/he-1000 will never touch, but you will need a $10-20k source to show off what it can do. Not joking unfortunately.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the replies. Keep the suggestions coming.

Unfortunately I can't try them all out. Probably a couple depending on return policy.

I did not try the Allnic hpa5000 but did try the hpa3000 which a lot of people had nice things to say about it. There's underwhelming, and then theres 10 steps below underwhelming. That's where the hpa3000 fit in. Actually I'm using a David Berning MicroZOTYL for the moment and that blows thew Allnic away to me.

I guess if I look at the Taurus mk2, GS-X Mk2, and Liquid Gold it shouldn't be a bad decision. Any further thoughts?

The Woo Audio WA5-LE looks interesting but I don't know if I want to get involved with tubes.

Thanks again,
Ken

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 19
This apparently is out already and so I can't help but think is perfect timing in your case. No reviews yet obviously but with the pedigree is definitely worth waiting a bit for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back